Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

How do you guys 'guess' angles ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Platinum Member

LOL dont remind me...I missed 3 bears that week, the closest being 225 and the farthest 375. Probly my worst week of shooting ever. Not sure what the angles were, but I know they couldn't have been more then a 40 or 45. Was shooting my 7mag/175g Wildcats zeroed at 200 yards. I was hitting what seemed like a foot over every time on every bear at every distance. The first bear was 350-375 and not to steep so I didn't account for much. He was broadside and I shot about 1 foot over his back, crosshairs were on his shoulder. The last bear I missed was 225 yards, probly 45 degree angle or so. He was facing me and I had the crosshairs right on his briskett, figuring if I shoot high I"ll get him in the neck/head area. At the shot, he whirled around and ran like a bad out of heck into the brush. Musta shot over his head cuz I didn't find the bear or blood. I did all the calculations and got like at most 6" of difference, not enough to miss all these bears anyways at somewhat close range...To say I was a little mad would be a total understatment...
Old 07-22-2008, 03:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by remingtonman_25_06 View Post
I was hitting what seemed like a foot over every time on every bear at every distance.
That sounds a little odd? Especially on a 225 yd shot. Did you recheck your zero on your rifle/scope after the hunt? Sounds like a little practice would be in order using a 4x4 sheet of plywood to see where your bullets are hitting vs yor calculations. I would put the bullseye about 3' down, crosshairs on bulls eye, and measure the difference at POI. And try it at different distances with a measured angle.

I have never done any angle shooting, but this does make me curious and I think I'll also try it.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Silver Member

the cheapest and easiest way to get your yardage distances and angle is to use a mi dot master. they give you angle and what your bullet will do at those angle. you can buy them for about 30 dallors. you have drop charts, ranging and angles all in one and they are light weight.

SWFA Accessories Mil-Dot Master
Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remingtonman_25_06 View Post
LOL dont remind me...I missed 3 bears that week, the closest being 225 and the farthest 375. Probly my worst week of shooting ever. Not sure what the angles were, but I know they couldn't have been more then a 40 or 45. Was shooting my 7mag/175g Wildcats zeroed at 200 yards. I was hitting what seemed like a foot over every time on every bear at every distance. The first bear was 350-375 and not to steep so I didn't account for much. He was broadside and I shot about 1 foot over his back, crosshairs were on his shoulder. The last bear I missed was 225 yards, probly 45 degree angle or so. He was facing me and I had the crosshairs right on his briskett, figuring if I shoot high I"ll get him in the neck/head area. At the shot, he whirled around and ran like a bad out of heck into the brush. Musta shot over his head cuz I didn't find the bear or blood. I did all the calculations and got like at most 6" of difference, not enough to miss all these bears anyways at somewhat close range...To say I was a little mad would be a total understatment...
Nevermind I misread this quote.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the help guys -i've did some reading on most of the equipment you guys use for angle shooting.

The aci looks standard issue -there isn't a whole lot of detailed info. on their website.

If i want to range my shot and do the math myself - I would be best off w/ the ADI model right?
I'm sure it is the right model but want to be sure -sure.
Also i might move up to a palm pilot w/software later.

Do any of the sponsor here at LRH sell these ?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remingtonman 25-06 ,didn't mean to bring up your worst day of shooting ever --i'm so stinking sorry =better luck bud !!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks -Mike
Old 07-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

ACI Indicator

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl