Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How do you guys 'guess' angles ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2008, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

How do you guys 'guess' angles ?

For a guy who doesn't have an angle cosine indicator and exbal -how do you 'guess' the angle of a shot ?

Do you practice shooting downhill-uphill -steep not too steep is there an equation for differing yardage?

I remember remingtonman 25-06 saying he missed a black bear a year or so ago ,and someone ran the numbers on exbal -he had shot at a steep downward angle and shot well over the bear.
I did some longrange practicing from a mountain top down onto the valley floor last fall and at 400-5-600-yards you don't hold over very much at all.

Thanks ME
Old 07-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

go to the hardware store and buy an "angle finder" its a magnetic level that has a needle pointing to the angle of your barrel. without a computer though it would take alot of drop charts.
RR
Old 07-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

The simplest (cheapest) way is to do the ol' protractor/string/weight. It works and is very simple. I just bought the slope doper and it seems like a decent piece of gear, small and simple = KISS.
I haven't seen the angle finder RidgeRunner is refering to, but I think I'll have to check it out as well.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:30 AM
Platinum Member

Or buy something like this for less than 20 bucks, I'm guessing, and you don't have to deal with the string. I had something similar to this one and worked pretty good until I bought the cosine indicator.

-----------------------------
HEBREWS 13:8
Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:39 AM
Gold Member

I would personally look at the sniper tools ACI. One hell of a tough little tool !!

DUH
Old 07-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Platinum Member

Ol Mike,

Here's one I made awhile back. Used it for a couple of days in the mountains. After just a bit you end up memorizing the angles of various areas.

I marked the Cosine of each major angle w/sharpie.

It works best on the rifle barrel as the spotter has not reticle.

Rockler has one that is a bunch smaller than the one shown above. I'm going to upgrade to the Rockler when I come across that darn catalogue
Old 07-21-2008, 09:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol mike View Post
I did some longrange practicing from a mountain top down onto the valley floor last fall and at 400-5-600-yards you don't hold over very much at all.
That depends on your angle. Most angle shots are less than they seem. A 30 degree angle looks more like a 40 or 45 degree angle and a 45 degree angle looks like a 55 or 60 degree angle, almost straight down.

At 30 degrees you want to multiply your straight line distance by .86 to get your horizontal distance which is what you compensate for. and at 45 degrees you multiply the straight distance by .71

For a 30 cal, 200 gr Accubond with an MV of 3200 (typical 300 RUM load)

Your bullet drop difference at:

30 degrees and 300 yds will be about 2.2 inches
30 degress and 600 yds will be about 16 inches
45 degrees and 300 yds will be ablout 4.1 inches
45 degrees and 600 yds will be about 28 inches

And you want to hold under, not over.

These are oversimplified calculations and ballistics programs figure sight hieght into the calculation, and at more extreme ranges elevation differences should also be calculated.

Bottom line, inside 300-400 yds you can guesstimate fairly accurate. Just run some numbers and make a little drop interpolation chart. For farther shots you should get the equipement and software or else you're basically shooting and hoping.

Also you should figure the angle of your shot through the body. When shooting down hill if you aim for mid body you'll actually inpact higher toward the back but your bullet will travel down through the body through the vitals. If your shooting up hill you want to hold well under and catch the bottom of the chest.