Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

How Do You Get A Low "ES" Velocity Number ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-10-2009, 02:03 AM
Silver Member
Re: How Do You Get A Low "ES" Velocity Number ??

I am by no means an expert, but have seen many argue that variances in the case head and extractor groove can account for much of weight inconsistency of cases. Measuring volume of fire-formed cases may be more useful. I've seen MysticPlayer mention that he measures volume with a fine ball powder - nice idea and quicker and less messy than using water.

That said I only sort by neck wall thickness and unless something is amiss with the load (or neck tension!) achieve SD's of 12 and below and if I've done my bit often 5 or thereabouts.

I started the thread on the case neck issue as it still interests me. I'd also like to hear how others do it. I've tried it with some success, but I'm not sure it helped anything.

I used the Redding neck lube kit - the little jar with the ceramic balls and the dry neck lube.
I simply dipped them in and loaded like that.

So, Broz, Eaglet that's my technique. Seemed okay, but not sure it was better. More testing required.

How are you guys doing it? :-)

Unread 02-10-2009, 02:46 AM
Platinum Member
Re: How Do You Get A Low "ES" Velocity Number ??

I also use the Imperial Dry Neck Lube.

My already prepped brass after fired goes into my RCBS heavy duty decapping die, this step only removes the primer, then it goes into the tumbler until they're clean inside and out. After that I finish cleaning the primer pocket and make sure there is no media left inside the case. Once the cases are clean I deep them into the dry neck lube, only neck deep, rotate a bit and wipe off the dry lube from the outside of the neck, lube the whole outside with Imperial sizing die wax and the case is re-sized to where the shoulders are just pushed in a couple of thousands. Now they're ready for primer powder and bullets. This setup has worked for me pretty good giving me better consistency. It has also helped with obtaining better concentricity.

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Our Lord Jesus said that as it was in the days of Noah and
also as it was in the days of Lot so it shall be in the days...
It's happening again!!! God sent to us His prophet, and His Word
to this generation and we once more are rejecting it as was prophesied!!!

---> As promised, God Sent His Prophet to us!