Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How Do You Get A Low "ES" Velocity Number ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 05:31 AM
Gold Member

How Do You Get A Low "ES" Velocity Number ??

Just thought I'd post a real no brainer for a number of you out there.

Assuming you have a quality rifle that has been put together accurately by a smith with some real ability, and you are meticulous with your loading, what are the things you must do to get a low average spread of velocities when using a chrono ??

I have only ever used basic stock production rifles and have noticed that I have routinely had velocity spreads 10-25 fps diffence between shots with occaisonal flyers
Will a high quality custom rifle assist in bringing the average between shots down ??

Or is it strictly loading related issues ? Quality of chrono etc...?

I would love to see single digit spreads or low teens without the flyers !

Cheers
Old 11-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Gold Member

Low ES

Hi the first thing to do is listen to instructions given to you from the Gunsmith.

But as a rule I use cases that have been prepared by removing all burrs and are a uniform length.
When choosing components I want a powder that will almost completely fill the case and still give me the desired velocity. The more in the case the more consistant the primer ignition into the powder coloum. If their is to much air space the powder can flow up to the front off the case and the primer flash won't ignite as consistantly.

Don't be woried to have a compressed load if using ADI powders (Hodgden Extreem). You can use a long drop tube and a full neck then seat the projectile into the powder colum. make sure you don't cause the case to deform if this happens you have to much in the case.

The other thing is the primer as an example a 223Rem. Say you are loading with a 40 gr projectile and AR2207 (H4198) a cool primer like a federal is great but a Rem 7 1/2 is to hot and will blow shots every where now a 223Rem with a 90gr you would use AR2208 (Varget) the Fed primers will usualy blow unless in a rifle with a bushed firing pin and they will still blow but put the long burning Rem 7 1/2 is perfect we use gthem for up to 45gr off AR2213SC (H4831SC).

"o primers will change a lot but with large cases off slow powder the best two I have found are Fed215 and also CCI BR2 primers.

The last thing is good neck tension. This can work with a tight neck and also with the projectiles into the lands.

As a last resort start moving the projectiles away from the lands 5 thou at a time but be aware some projectiles will never shoot verry well in some barrels and in oyhers they shoot through the same hole.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bill
Australia
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Sponsor

My notes on low ES, in order.

1. Sort bullets by baring surface.
2. Sort bullets by forward baring surface to base.
3. Get consistant case volume, I do this by taking once fired cases, trimmed to length, prepped and weigh them.
4. Use a bushing sizing die with the right neck tension.
5. Graphite powder the inside of the neck of the case.
6. After seating the bullet set all bullets to the same length based on the OAL from the forward baring surface to the base of the case. This will give you more consistant effective case volume and jump to the lands.
7. Experiment with load variables, powders and primer combos. Hogden Extreame powder seem to be better about this. Certain primer powder combos also seem to work better together.
8. If you get in the low teens and or single digits be happy don't strive for a goal that makes no practical difference. At 10-15 fps ES most people will never see a difference in the performance vs. 7 or 8 fps ES.
9. Your shooting an Edge - H1000, CCI 250, 300 SMK's and follow the above you'll be a happy guy.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 11-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Gold Member

Shawn,

How bout an article on this subject? I know you write alot but a good article on proper reloading would be awsome....some of us(me) get a lil confused on things and we are also very spread on our total knowledge on the "RELOADING" subject.

I guess Im trying to say that there are alot of ways to do things but Im in search of the quickest, easiest, less time on the reloading bench process here and dont like shooting a 100 rounds to be satisfied. Yea, I do wish Kirby put out factory ammo for his AM's, but that aint gonna happen!

Maybe Im askin too much, I read and read but still find myself lost sometimes!
Old 11-15-2007, 01:09 PM
Platinum Member

One item not mentioned so far that I've been told to do and finally did and has worked is to use heavy for caliber bullets, which if you follow Shawn's recipe for the Edge, you'll be doing. Seems to be more consistent fps #'s among other things. Have fun with that Edge!

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl
Old 11-15-2007, 01:43 PM
Sponsor

Nyles,

I could probably do that. Reloading is one of those subjects that alot of different people think alot of different things. I could write one based on what I do though.

www.defensiveedge.net
1-208-687-2659
Old 11-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Gold Member

I would enjoy it greatly and probably learn alot! and for the benfit of the dought on my personal knowledge, I will purchase the newest latest "RELOADING" book I can find. I noticed the dates on some of my hand me down books that I have are dated before I was born. Based on that Im sure I have some bad habits!