Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How accurate is accurate enough?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 04:14 PM

Re: How accurate is accurate enough?

Excellent discussion and good points. Thanks.

P.S. Bryan, really looking forward to the release of those 338 bullets and I'm especially interested in how the 250's turn out. Any idea if there will be some coming into Canada when they are first released or are we going to have to wait and watch our neighbors shoot them for a while first? Thanks for all your efforts.

-John

Last edited by Johnny5; 11-18-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

Well said Bryan
And I didn't mean to imply that a 1/2moa gun was all needed to hit an 8" killzone at 1460yds..

For this to hold, I believe it would take 1/4moa cold barrel ACCURACY -to 1460yds, -perfect shooting conditions
(1/4moa in every direction from center of mark).
Old 03-27-2011, 11:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl135 View Post
Good replies.

I'd like to bring up some additional considerations.

The groups that the rifle/shooter are capable of is a relatively small part of the picture as far as LR hunting is concerned.

I think there are a lot of rifles/shooters out there capable of shooting 10" to 15" groups at 1000 yards. However, I think there are very few rifles/shooters out there who can hit 10" to 15" targets at 1000 yards on the first shot.

I think many shooters falsely believe that if their rifle shoots 10" groups, then they can hit 10" targets. It's not that easy. The important knowledge that's required to center shots on the aimpoint at long range is often overlooked. This important knowledge is of course related to ballistics.

The topic is addressed in this article: Hitting Targets at Long Range

It's important to tune your rifle to shoot the smallest groups possible, BUT that's only a prerequisite for hitting small targets at long range. When you consider the challenge of addressing all the ballistic effects, it puts the 1/3 MOA vs 1/2 MOA question into perspective. When 2 degrees of cant cause you to hit over 10" wide of your aimpoint at 1000 yards, it doesn't matter if your rifle shoots 1" groups at that range, you still miss.

This is pretty common sense stuff that doesn't disagree with anything that's been said. I'm only bringing it up because it's important to keep questions and answers in proper perspective.

Best of luck,
-Bryan
Bryan, Your writing style is unmistakable. I knew that was your response before I finished the second paragraph and before even looking at the username or signature. Funny. Your response to any ballistics question is always respected. And I agree. I am not that good and would not take a shot beyond 600 yards on game at this point. I can shoot 1/2 inch groups at 200 yards but beyond that the variables continuously multiply. While rifle/load consistency will make up for some slight error it can never make up for the human factor completely.

Make it shoot as well as you can and learn to shoot the range you intend to shoot. 1/3 moa is good for a long way out there on game. But the gun only does part of the work.