Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

How about a switch barrel ...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Gold Member

How about a switch barrel ...?

So if I buy a long action Savage with UltraMag bolt face, I can buy as many barrel's for it I want and all I have to do is loosen the barrel nut spin off a barrel, spin the new barrel on, set the headspade and tighten down the nut....???

I could have a 6.5MM SAUM or WSM or a 7MM SAUM or WSM or RUM or 30 cal SAUM or WSM or RUM all based on the same stock and action!

No gunsmith involved, just order the barrel from whoever I want and it will screw right on and work great. (No need to turn the face to set the headspace.)

Is it really this simple?

Comments please ....

Doug

[ 03-28-2004: Message edited by: dwm ]
Old 03-28-2004, 09:08 AM
Gold Member

Re: How about a switch barrel ...?

Some general comments on switch barrel guns please ...

Savage looks like a good choice since you can get a new barrel and headspace it yourself ...

Thanks,

Doug
Old 03-28-2004, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Doug, you are on the right track, but if you get a long action and try to use short action rounds for it, prepare to use it as a single shot. The short loads tend to pop up and out of the magazine wildly when feeding. If reliable feeding is needed, get 2 rifles. 1 long action and 1 short action. You can use one short action for 243's 308's and all the short magnums also if you get a second bolt. I know remington will sell you a second bolt IF you send them a barreled action with no bolt. A smith can then convert that bolt face. 1 potential problem with that is the rails in the magazine are differant from standard and short mag. So once again, one or the other would be used as a single shot. You would have to have it set up for HS Precision's detachable magazine and hope in the near future that they make available a magazine for the short magnum diameters. The same would be true of the long action. You could have 2 bolts. 1 for cases like the 300 WM or 7mm stw and another for big cases like the 300 or 338 Ultra mags.

Regards

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Michael,
What long action, with rails for the Ultra Mag will not reliably feed the WSM's?

Cycling slow and fast, I've checked the Rem 700 300 Ultra action I have and it feeds the 300 WSM case flawlessly, 1st through 3rd round. The first and second round fed both enter the front receiver ring up to the base of the shoulder before they can leave the rail. By then they cannot pop out, as they are too far into the chamber with the bolt backing them. They are actually quite docile entering the chamber using the standard Ultra Mag follower and spring combination, and the spring is stiffer than it needs to be. Pressure is balanced more tot he front of the WSM case, as it's designed for the Ultra Mag, but it works flawlessly in the 700. Upon firing it, you may find the cases drop low in the rear of the mag, but I seriously doubt they will. I would make sure to chamfer the hole in the bolt so it doesn't drag on the shoulder of the WSM case and force it down at the rear when withdrawing the bolt, but again, I doubt it would, a belted design would be worse. Cases falling low at the rear would be the thing I'd watch for, but it could be fixed easily if it happened.

The last round fed is held under the rail 3/8" beyond the rail transition.

See how the Savage feeds with the shorter WSM's, then compare it to the 700 action and then decide. I'll have a look at the Savage when I'm out at the gunshop.

The new Savage actions have 1-1/8 thread diameter over the 700's 1-1/16 threads, so you could open the threads up in the 700 for the Savage barrels and use their barrel nuts on them, if you wanted to. I'd pin the lug on it, and have them all headspaced for your action as you normally would, use a T-handle action wrench and a barrel vice and just hit 20-30 lbs torque myself, Savage or Remington if you plan on using custom barrels.

I believe the Ultra Mag and Short Mag chamberings in the Savage now come with the bottom of the bolt nose ring removed for semi-positive feed, so they feed the larger diameter cases easier, what I read on Sharp Shooter's Supply website I think.
Old 03-28-2004, 07:19 PM
Gold Member

Meichele,

I was getting the long action specifically for short action ultra/wsm magnum cartridges.

That way I can seat the bullets ways out in the short magnum cases and still fit them in the long action magazine well. The Wyatt's box is just not long enough to fit heavy bullets in short mags the way I want to seat them.

I was considering the fact that the Savage long action with RUM bolt face was a controlled round fed long action and so there shouldn't be a problem feeding the short mags.

I am especially thinking of the SAUM/WSM cases with heavy 7MM bullets. I have a REM700 7mm SAUM and unless you stuff them way deep they won't fit in the mag well. The WSM are even longer and I can not see them working at all in a REM700 short action. (Ok, maybe single shot.)

I don't want this one to be a single shot. I have a REM 700 7MM RUM that I have set up as single shot for long range. (17 lbs)

I want this rifle to be man portable over long distances and I would like to have a follow up shot or two available.

Are you sure the short mags will pop out of the long action mag well?

Doug
Old 03-28-2004, 07:26 PM
Platinum Member

Doug,

Looks like you posted right after me...
You're right, the case rim would be captured under the extractor in the Savage, so unless their rails are way short for their Ultra Mags it should work, I'd think.

I didn't know you had a 700 already. How do the WSM's feed in yours?

[ 03-28-2004: Message edited by: Brent Moffitt ]
Old 03-28-2004, 08:38 PM

If your Savage already has the controled round bolt head then it will work with the short mags , but the WSM is .005 wider case than the RUM.

Personaly , when I have anything to do to a Savage now days and I'm not sure I give
Kevin Rayhill a call , hes a damn good smith with a good turn around and decient prices.