Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

horsemans mountain rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Silver Member

Re: horsemans mountain rifle

I know what you mean.Have tried most scabbard locations.I at times do lots of riding,some cow work,roping etc.I guess thats my main issue,for me anyways.Thats why I am considering a single shot rifle,very short action and easy to carry(like a carbine)We have different needs but its fun to exchange ideas.Actually, what I really need is a fully functional boot that can swiveled to one side somehow.easy opening and closing.I have not seen this type of arrangement though.Ruger does not make what I need,I don't know and don't find the#1 that dependable.Maybe its me.take care
Old 04-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Could you imagine hunting with a slick single shot break action (SSBA) rifle like Blaser 95K, Krieghoff etc.? Should be marvellous for mountain hunts on horseback in the USA. F. ex. calibre 30R Blaser, full 26' barrel -length provided + muzzle brake all together ca. 6,5lbs without scope and OAL 1,10 meter/1,20yards length!
Old 04-17-2014, 03:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
But that scabbard under my leg made for some discomfort after 6 or 7 miles.

Jeff

Jeff:
Have you ever tried putting your rifle on the other side ("on side")? Put the stock to the back (Horses rump) and barrel pointing forward and angled down. You now have the thinnest part of the rifle under your left leg - the barrel. There are advantages and disadvantages to every position but I have found the on-side method works best for me. You dismount and rifle is right there - you pull it to the back of the horse to remove from scabbard. The down side is I have my scope facing down and rifle is out of site if you don't look for it. I started doing this many years ago when leading pack strings - I am right handed and always felt more comfortable holding pack horse lead rope in rt. hand. The first couple trips with a not so wise pack horse and I wanted nothing in the way to get the lead rope tangled up - particularly my rifle.

The whole key to this is to get the butt of rifle as high as you can - if the back "D" ring for your rear cinch isn't high enough you can always add a ring just below your wangs where you tie something down behind your saddle. Your front strap on your rifle scabbard may need to be lenghtened from the standard size but a new strap shouldn't be more than a couple bucks. You would need to play around a little to get it to ride correctly, make sure it's not effecting front left leg of your horse, but IMO it is well worth it. I ride with spurs all the time and I can't stand having a lump (rifle) under my leg.

I have tried all 4 locations and the above is how I've been packing a rifle for 25 years.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Nothing is ideal..I've settled with it on the offside too/barrel forward/no weight on the scope..so far. exactly why this rifle is not gold plated work of art...hate to forcast it but trouble can be around the corner.tag your it.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

I've got a TC Encore with an MGM barrel, trigger is about 1.8 lbs. It shoots 1/2" or less. 6.5x284, 27" barrel fluted. 13/16" bull contour. 22 shots to load development, 140 grain Gameking. 23rd shot 505 yards, mule deer dropped on the spot. 1 shot at an animal. Gun probably weighs 5lbs. maybe 6 with scope. Very cool little rifle. Put a pistol in your pocket for dangerous game and go hunting. No bs, these can shoot, seems odd but they aren't really.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Realized what I tried to say made no sense.I just meant no need for an expensive gold plated rifle-a horse could roll on it or who knows what could happen to it.Expect the unexpected..I really don't know much about these threads etc or how they work but the tc encore had caught my attention ,good to here positive feedback about it.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Tell us more about the blaser 95k .Have you tried this? thanks