Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

horsemans mountain rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Silver Member

horsemans mountain rifle

short,clean,accurate-perhaps a single shot,25/06 rem (24" barrel).fits a scabbard or gun boot easily,will have compact scope.must hold poi.Is there anything out there?Pretty does not matter.I have good bolt action rifles,ruger#1 and used several lever action rifles.Nothing really designed for this exclusive purpose that I can see .Custom job?This seems to be no mans land to me.thanks
Old 04-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: horsemans mountain rifle

Tony, It is on my "to do" list and has been for a few years now. I have played with it in my head and here is what I am thinking.

Out to 700 ~ 800 yards max.

Light stock composite, pillars and full bedding out to the barrel lug. Side flush cups so you can pull a sling from the saddle bag if you need to go on foot. Harris Bipod with quick release that can be also in the saddle bag when not in the scabbard.

Keep the weight in a barrel about 24" plus brake with a muzzle dia around .750" Fluted all metal cerokoted flat black. Chamber in 7mm-300 win with an 8 or 8.5 twist to be ready for the release of the 195 Bergers. Or some 200 gr we are trying to get built.

Rem 700 long action or clone. repeater with single stack wyatts bag box. 3 down carry chamber empty.

Timney trigger at 1 1/2 to 2 lbs for durability and able to with stand some cold and dust.

Nightforce 0 can't rail base with Nightforce .885 ultralite rings. 3 rings for durability.

Nightforce 2.5x10 x 32 compact scope in .25 moa with NP-R1 or MOAR reticle.

Rail mounted US optics level with protector.

Easy in and out of the scabbard, scabbard can be hung vertical or under your leg while mounted, durable as it gets and able to hold groups of 4 or 5 " at 800 yards.

What ya think?

Jeff
Old 04-17-2014, 11:28 AM
Silver Member

Wow.you have thought about-just a tad.What would this the max weight you would allow on this rig?For myself,400 yards is a huge shot in this steep country,especially solo,when game recovery is key of course.We probably frequent the same type of terrain(rocky mountain)Sounds like a dandy though.Tell me some more stuff,if you can.take care
Old 04-17-2014, 11:32 AM
Gold Member

Glad to see you back, Broz. I've missed ya. As for your idea on the mountain rifle, I'd say you are right on the mark.

I think of ya every time I go through Townsend.

Jim

Raptor Stalker by
Kirby Allen APS
Old 04-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Thanks Jim,

Tony, this rifle should come in about 9 lbs complete. I simply do not want a rifle lighter here where we hunt. Weight is stability I find necessary to keep in the .5 moa area out to 800 yards. The bullets I intend to use will have a G1 BC of close to .8 and the chambering should push them close to 3000 fps. from a short barrel. I have a real short one going together now so I will be able to confirm that. This would make the shot at 800 yards very doable even in mountain or canyon winds with adequate practice.

My main reason for this build would be for wolf hunts, so small targets at distance are in the plan. But this also would double for an elk rifle when I draw that tag in the limited areas and go deep for a real trophy. I may also use it for some bear hunts on horseback.

Jeff
Old 04-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Silver Member

Thanks.Good info..wolf hunting does have its own requirements.Well today and for the next while I'm winged(again) no chores,work or otherwise.Hell ,just hard to look at all the work around in the spring and not dive in to it.so ,great to exchange ideas.Man, around here you see wolves briefly, if at all.Tough to trap too.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 PM
Platinum Member

Had my 300 win with a braked 28" barrel, NF 5.5~22 x56, for this hunt. But that scabbard under my leg made for some discomfort after 6 or 7 miles. Thus the reason I want something smaller and easier to carry and for sure something that deploys faster from the scabbard.

Jeff