close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Hornady Superformance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-19-2010, 02:58 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady Superformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
There are some legitimate products out there that perform as advertised. They are few and far between. Even though I have an opinion on Hornady loaded ammo, I think their bullets rock. They have always exceeded my expectations.
Ever had a good experience with the accuracy of Hornady Interbonds? Curious because my experiences were poor and most of what I've read has matched my own experiences. Which Hornady bullets do you like/use for LRH? Amax?
    Unread 02-19-2010, 11:32 AM
    Platinum Member

Good article in the January 'American Rifleman' on this powder. Goes into some depth.

"The flattened-shaped propellants, which have a deterrent specifically placed to optimize progressiveness, as well as surface coating to improve temperature insensitivity, are designed to be consumed before the bullet exits the muzzle." Also blending powders, of course.

That might just be fancy language, but in reading the article, it seemed to be the salient sentance in terms of what they've done to the exent that they'll tell us, that is.

Jon

"And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God?" Thomas Jefferson - Notes on the State of Virginia

www.wildsidesystems.com - Shelter for Your WildSide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwgo...&feature=g-upl

Unread 02-19-2010, 12:09 PM
    Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
    Ever had a good experience with the accuracy of Hornady Interbonds? Curious because my experiences were poor and most of what I've read has matched my own experiences. Which Hornady bullets do you like/use for LRH? Amax?
    To be honest, I have never used the Interbond. I have had excellent results with the SP, BTSP, and AMAX's. The AMAX's have been the most accurate bullets I have ever shot. In 4 different rifles, the AMAX shined over all others and every one of my personal best groups at 100, 300 and 1000 yards have been with the AMAX, 3 shot and 5 shot.

My only problem with the AMAX is that while it is an excellent (IMHO) up to deer size bullet, it is not well suited for elk, big bears or moose. Even the esteemed AMAX has limitations.

For such species I defer to a stouter bullet such as the ACCUBOND or TSX/TTSX. Sometimes even the Hornady BTSP's. I prefer the ACCUBOND though.
    Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
    Unread 02-19-2010, 12:26 PM
    Silver Member

I havent used the Interbond either. But I find the plain ole Interlock to be a very accurate bullet. I use the 180's in my .300 Win Mag and 225's in my .338 Win Mag, and now Im even experimenting with them in my .300 RUM. I'm not sure how they will perform on deer leaving out at 3300-3400 fps. But the 180's performed flawless in the Win Mag leaving at 3100. 385 yards, 6 pointer slightly quartering away. Exit hole on the off side shoulder was a little bigger than a golf ball, and the deer dropped in his tracks.
    Unread 02-19-2010, 04:29 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
    My only problem with the AMAX is that while it is an excellent (IMHO) up to deer size bullet, it is not well suited for elk, big bears or moose.

For such species I defer to a stouter bullet such as the ACCUBOND or TSX/TTSX. Sometimes even the Hornady BTSP's. I prefer the ACCUBOND though.
    Thanks. I've consistently read and heard good results with the AMAX. I like the Accubond also when I need a stouter bullet. For a bonded-core bullet, the Accubonds shot much better than the Interbonds in my rifles. I also periodically load TSX for a bear/camp/carry-in-the-magazine up close in your face load. Never put the TSX to accuracy tests since my plans for them are the closer encounters or bear defense loads.
    Unread 02-19-2010, 10:34 PM
    Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
    Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
    Thanks. I've consistently read and heard good results with the AMAX. I like the Accubond also when I need a stouter bullet. For a bonded-core bullet, the Accubonds shot much better than the Interbonds in my rifles. I also periodically load TSX for a bear/camp/carry-in-the-magazine up close in your face load. Never put the TSX to accuracy tests since my plans for them are the closer encounters or bear defense loads.
    I have never put the TSX's through serious paces but what I have seen from them has been very promising. I cannot say that about the MRX bullet. I would have to say the MRX is about as bad a bullet as I have ever shot. About 11 years ago my 'goto' load was 43.5 of IMR4064 under the 180 XBT (before the TSX) and it was a solid load. 1/2 MOA any day any time. I harvested my first moose with that load. The design of the TSX in theory should lend itself to better accuacy than the older, sleeker XBT's. The old XBT's were shaped more like the VLD and the TSX are shaped more like the SMK except for the bands and the boattail.
    Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
    Unread 08-14-2010, 09:30 PM
    Platinum Member

Hornady claims a 200fps advantage over standard products and I believe them for several reasons. First is powder mfg in USA is sorta like car battery mfg, there are only so many powder mills ( probably less than 6) in the whole USA and they and the business is tightly controlled. Olin Matheson Chemical Co ( Winchester powder ) is behind most of the powder research and development in the USA in some way or other. Same way there are probably not more than 12 car battery manufacturERS in the whole USA. Keep in mind I said manufacturer, not a can of powder with a Brand X label or a car battery with Sears label on it. Powder mfg is a chemical process and there are many secrets for good reason. Profit is only one reason.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...technology.pdf

The other thing is as soon as Superformance was unveiled the Hornady Light Magnum and Hornady Heavy Magnum ammo supply dried up immediately ( as Hornady no longer mfg it ). I knew something was up as I burnt up a ton of Hvy Mag ammo and it got unavailable QUICKLY. Superformance replaced it at a considerable cost savings to the shooter ( 29.99 vs the former 42.99).

They say the secret is in the powder and Hornady can keep that secret for 21 years. That way they get paid for the R & D that ( somebody) did. Reloaders, you'll just have to grow your beards and wait...

NRA Life Member

Last edited by silvertip-co; 08-14-2010 at 09:51 PM. Reason: added Hornady pdf link