Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hornady Superformance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2010, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady Superformance

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
Safe bet that Hornady will do whatever they feel yields the greatest profit with the least risk. How that works in the case of any special powder blended factory ammo - probably only the Hornady executives know.

I believe Federal has done the same thing with their Premium High Energy factory ammo. It seems to be directed towards getting the edge in factory ammo sales. If they can send their factory loads a little faster than the competition, up go their sales.

The bigger question is why aren't one or more of the major powder manufacturer's, like Hodgdon, Alliant, etc, who primarily or solely manufacture and sell gun powder - making similar blends available. Those are the outfits that should be taking the lead on innovative powder blends, even if they didn't come up with the concept on their own. One or more of them must already be making any 'special' powders for Hornady and Federal. So what's keeping them from developing their own super duper powders and adding them to their currently existing line of products. Their must be something we don't know, because if there's easy money to be made, one of these outfits would certainly get with it and do it.
Exactly, that's what make me think there is a bunch of smoke and mirrors.

Steve
Old 02-18-2010, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Is it possible that Hornady and Federal get what they believe is an optimal blend from xyz powder manufacturer and then internally Hornady and Federal put some magic whatever chemical or compound into the powder?

Wouldn't it be possible to buy some superperformance ammo from them and have the powder put through chemical analysis...you know one of those instruments that determines each and every chemical and it's percentage?
Old 02-18-2010, 05:42 AM
Silver Member

I can tell you, I took a Hornady 180gr Heavy Mag for a .300 Win Mag and pulled the bullet. The powder was so compressed I had to beat the sides of the brass with a piece of 50 BMG brass to break the powder free. If I remember correctly, the powder when all extracted was 86 grains. When fired the cases show no signs of pressure, and they do get the advertised 3100fps from a 24" barreled Ruger M77. This paticular rifle, stuck the bolt with 81gr of Retumbo behind a 200gr bullet.

I also remember reading about someone with some Light Magnum ammo for a 7-08 or 308. They pulled the bullet and the powder began spilling out the top of the case.

So I dont know how they do that voo doo that they do,...so well
Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Is it possible that Hornady and Federal get what they believe is an optimal blend from xyz powder manufacturer and then internally Hornady and Federal put some magic whatever chemical or compound into the powder?
I doubt it. Powder manufacturing is a specialty business with many hazards that have to be controlled. I don't think any business other than one that specialized in the manufacture, production, and quality control of smokeless powder would start messing around with batches of gun powder in any of their plants. Otherwise - poof! No eyebrows and lawsuits.

These plants periodically blow up even with all their safety protocols and procedures.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:33 PM
Bronze Member

I'm not from the show me state, but i will need to see it to believe it.
Old 02-18-2010, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnMT View Post
They are claiming more than just speed. They are claiming less pressure and significantly less muzzle blast producing less turbulence around the bullet on exit from the muzzle. Resulting in better accuracy, and a more complete burn.

Seems like we are being teased.

Steve
Sounds like the same claims being made for RL17. Progressive burn rate which limits peak pressure but optimizes average pressure. The secret with the Light Magnum ammo was a loading technique that maximized the powder charge. That is why some of the light mag ammo did not gain much velocity and other loads did depending on the load density. It would also explain the higher recoil and muzzle pressure with the light mag stuff compared to Superperformance ammo. I understand some of the 06 light mag loads had 67 grains of powder. I actually measured some of the 165 grain interbond light mags and I think the powder charge was in the 63+ grain range when I weighed it. I could not get the powder back into the case with out the bullet pushing back out.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

A simple solution to higher than average velocity levels is VV N500 series powders.

The first time I ever tested N540 I was using the 178 AMAX in my Hart 11x 308 barrel. The first shot over the chrony was over 2750 FPS. The recoil was so light and the primer was so normal with the speed so high even at reduced loads, I stopped shooting and went home to pull bullets because I was afraid I had accidentally loaded 155 AMAX's. I learned that I had not loaded the wrong bullets and resumed testing. They ran all the way up to just over 2850 before there was a slight hint of bolt click. When I tested the 168 AMAX, I quit after hitting the 2950 mark. Even though there was no bolt click or stick, I decided enough was enough and settled on 2830.

There are some legitimate products out there that perform as advertised. They are few and far between. Even though I have an opinion on Hornady loaded ammo, I think their bullets rock. They have always exceeded my expectations.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.