Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hornady Superformance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Hornady Superformance

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/...technology.pdf

This is a link to an article on Hornady's new ammo.
Worth the read. I want to know if any of you have any idea what they are using for powder? Do you think we will be able to get a hold of it? I find it hard to believe that Hornady is the only ones that know about this powder. We have seen this in the TC-30 ammo. We could not reproduce the same velocities as the factory ammo. And it shot exceptional, hold 1/2 moa as far as you can shoot. Factory rifle and ammo.

Any way, I would like to hear some input from you all.

Steve
Old 02-15-2010, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady Superformance

Interesting read but, I've got to admit I don't have a clue what powder they are using.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Platinum Member

It was rumored a couple yrs ago that Hornady came out with a ''super-powder'' that, for safety reasons, wasnt offered to the public.(Thier reasoning was rumored to be simmilar to Winchester's reason for not sharing ''recipits'' when smokeless powders hit the scene, that Win was loading,and offering for sale to the public. Safety and $$$ dollar signs) Ive hered rumors ranging from part nitro-glicerine to magnesium of all things hahahaha.
Who knows what thier using, I just want to get a few years of hand loading under my belt before I attempt getting my hands on something that cool. Its unfortunate that its not yet offered(to my knowledge anyway) to the loaders who cuold really bennifit from it and share safe load data,like alot of members of this site (L/R/H) so members like me could learn from them.
..........RUMORS SUCK.........haha

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 02-15-2010, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

Someone has got to know someone who can analize the powder to figure out burn rate, explosion temp, and show what the pressure curve looks like. Just read about it aswell in my honady magazine. Interesting stuff... Sounds like RL17-2
Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Interesting read but, I've got to admit I don't have a clue what powder they are using.

They use powders known only to them. Some are blends.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang View Post
They use powders known only to them. Some are blends.
+1 In order to out perform other manufactures they have powder manufactures blend and
even change the burn rates of existing powders to acheave more velocity and then will not
let the the powder manufacture sell it (Propietary).

This is the reason it is hard to match the velocities of some factory ammo.

But the re loader can still produce better ammo so 50 ft/sec more velocity is not all that
important.

J E CUSTOM
Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

They are claiming more than just speed. They are claiming less pressure and significantly less muzzle blast producing less turbulence around the bullet on exit from the muzzle. Resulting in better accuracy, and a more complete burn.

Seems like we are being teased.

Steve