Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Hornady SST vs A-Max

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2005, 06:40 AM

Hornady SST vs A-Max

How closely do you feel the SST would compare to the A-Max in the accuracy dept. in 7mm and .30cal.??
Old 05-22-2005, 02:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady SST vs A-Max

yellowjacket
I have shot both in 6.5, accuracy was the same for both at 100 yds. Haven't tried the Amaxs any further than that as the groups were at or just under 1 moa and I'd rather hunt with the SSTs. I'm still toying with the SSTs to see if I can tighten up the groups.
Chris
Old 05-22-2005, 05:38 PM

Thanks chis, accuracy has always been the most important quest in my shooting and reloading ventures. I am only willing to move into a stronger game bullet if it will produce the accuracy my rifle is capable of achiving. I only hunt whitetail and my 40+ years of shooting deer has taught me that most any suitable caliber bullet will easily and quickly take a deer out with good bullet placement. I started testing the A-max last year and so far my results have been excellent. I have not fired a SST yet but am really wondering if they can match the A-max performance?? Thanks Jim.
Old 05-22-2005, 06:29 PM
Platinum Member

Jim
Certainly understand the accuracy standpoint.
My rifle doesn't seem to care for the Hornady bullets that much. It shoots the 140 gr SMK into the .2-.4 range regularly, unfortunatly I didn't like their on game performance. I've gotten the SSTs to shoot into the .7-.9 range but thats the best so far. I just picked up 2 lbs of H4831sc maybe I'll see some improvement there.
Chris
Old 05-22-2005, 09:55 PM

Chris, it seems we are going down a similar path. I used the smk for a while and always cleanly harvest my whitetail, but it seemed the bullet was opening a bit slowly and the kill was not a quick as I would like. I feel either of the Hornady bullets will change this results. The deep penetrating clan should love the smk since I never failed to get a great exit wound. Jim.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:51 AM
Bronze Member

YellowJacket, we load the A-max and the SMK in different calibers and find to a hundred yds it really doesn't matter what you shoot, (but then who shoots at 100yds anymore)? We shoot out to say 500 yds and have had excellent results w/the A-max. Some guns love them and some just seem to be a bit lackluster if you will. Past 300 yds the A-max really does shine in the guns that love them. I would try the SMK's and the Lapua's as well.

[ QUOTE ]
How closely do you feel the SST would compare to the A-Max in the accuracy dept. in 7mm and .30cal.??

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-23-2005, 06:58 AM
Silver Member

Don't shy from the AMAX, I shot a pronghorn with the 178gr.AMAX and you could put your fist through the exit hole "excellent terminal ballistics".