Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Hornady SST questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady SST questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time Long Ranger View Post
I checked the JBM calculator to answer your question. The 225 sst that killed the elk at 914 yards was traveling appr. 2120 fps at time of impact. It was a perfect mushroom under the off side hide. The bullet mushroomed to about .1" in front of the canelure. I know that is not down to your 1600 fps range but from that I would say it would open up and work on game. Load was 127 grains H-870 at 3470 fps out of a 338-378. 10,600 ft elevation.

Winmag, The 225 338 bullet is a much tougher bullet than the 150 277 bullet. From what you gathered I would shoot the ab in your case. I am changing over all my big guns from the 225 accubond to something else because I saw three complete failures with that bullet this year on game.
Thanks for the heads up L.T.L.R., I own a 338win mag, that Im gonna load for as soon as I can afford to put glass on it. Mind if I ask what range your failures were at so I can choose a bullet accordingly? More information/research before I buy and load bullets for my 338win would help. Not trying to hijack this thread but it does pertain to data for Accubonds in Mr. Eichele's opener, so Im just continuing curiously. Thanks again

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 04-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Silver Member

Hi

In the 270 win myself and other buddies use a lot of 130gn SST's

We have taken Thar, Chamois, Red Deer and Fallow... 58 gn of 2213SC very accurate .mild load.

All 1 shot drop on the spot...... had an exit on the red and rear leg recovery on the front chest shot Thar.

I use a lot of 180gn SST's in the 300wsm....

Last Sambar Stag at 236 yards took a low shoulder hit ...shattered leg taking heart etc and penetrated diagonally to under the skin on the opposite rib cage . Recovered weight under the skin 90gn...lovely mushroom the rest must be in the Sambar! I'm not worried about 100% retention as I have a bit of experience with bullets that are too hard!

He rolled after 5 steps and after I watched his leg crumple and jump in heart

Another buddy uses 180gn accubonds .. recovery around the same weight at 100 m...Blaser 300 win mag ..

Let me think..dead is dead.... 100 in a box versus 50... I get 19mm groups from the Howa 300wsm with custom wild dog stock... (68gn re19 with the 180 SST)

Its not broken, so I'm not changing to anything untill the SSt's fails me. Its not the be all and end all but they work well . 3 of us will not use the Barnes TTSX any more.

Interbonds in 270 win 130gn are also bang flop stuff..Hog deer last weekend!

I have used Accubonds before no issue... in fact the 160's in my T3 sporter 7mm RM shoot .389 so I'll keep you posted on this front. All good bullets I just like the fact that there a 100 in a box and thats more practice!

I have also purchased some 225gn SST's .338's whilst waiting for my custom Edge..just to find out if they work as well and i need something for run in. Another one that has worked well in the .338 win mag is the 250gn Hornady HPBT SST.. Night Force software is pretty well matched with this one.

Sierra 300gn are non existent down under at the moment.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:18 AM
Miller Outdoors

I'm not sure whether you'd get full expansion at 1600 or 1700 fps. My guess is no, it won't perform as well as a BT going that slowly.

As far as the SST bullet itself - it's quality. My son took a moose last year with his little Rem Model 7 6mm and the 95 gr SST - the bullet performed flawlessly. Granted, it was going way over the 1600 fps that you asked about.

Thinking more about it I think I'd opt for the heavier BT or V-max if I knew contact was going to be made at under 2,000 fps and if expansion/transfer of all energy was my concern.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:22 PM
Platinum Member

From what I have seen through the years the standard Hornady bullets (interlock,sst) overall hold together much better than the ballistic tips until you get to the 200 grain 338 ballistic tip. Ballistic tips will open up much quicker. Unfortunately they quit making the 200 grain 338 ballistic tip. Me and a number of my friends used that bullet out of all kinds of big 338's from the time it was introduced till we ran out of them. Perfect bullet performance from 50 yards to over 1000 yards every time. It was as good a hunting bullet as I have ever used in 40 years. So when I ran out of them I went to the 225 accubond for the high BC and thought the performance would be better since they charge for and call it a premium bullet. It is one of the worst bullets I have ever seen for performance on game. From what I have seen it will completely come apart into fragments on most shots. I am going back to the 225 sst, one of the Barnes bullets or something else. I will not shoot the 225 AB again at game. If you can find some 200 grain ballistic tips I would suggest you get those and use them and if anybody can find some I would like buy them.

With my 338- 378 I shot consistent groups in the 3"-4" range at 650 yards with a muzzle velocity of over 3600 fps. My best group was just over 3" at exactly 1/2 mile. The closest kill shot I can remember was with Sniper2 and I shot a large muley buck running at 100 or so yards through both shoulders with a perfect mushroomed bullet under the hide. The longest was shooting caribou over 1000 yards. Again with perfect bullet performance. Now that is what I call a good bullet to perform through all those velocity ranges.

The 180 ballistic tip opens quicker than the 200 ballistic tip and I think you can still get those. If you wanted a light 338 bullet that would perform well at low velocity that is the one I would suggest. At high velocity though I would be concerned of it blowing apart. I use it out of my 338 Gibbs and it does well at the slower velocities.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Platinum Member

Hey L.T.L.R, I noticed Hornady now offers a 200gr ''flex tip/leverrevolution'' bullet in .338 And Combined Technologies offers a 200gr balistic silvertip, if your interested.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"

Last edited by winmag; 04-21-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks, I haven't seen that one but that may be another Michael would like to consider also.