Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hornady A-MAx Bullets - any good for hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Bronze Member

Hornady A-MAx Bullets - any good for hunting?

Just wondering if any members have tried the Hornady A-Max bullets (marketed as match bullets) for hunting and what the results were?

Here in Australia I am hearing a number of good reports on their performance on game.

Cheers,
Magnum
Old 08-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady A-MAx Bullets - any good for hunting?

Here's my only personal experiences hunting with A-max ...

1. Shot an antelope at the boiler area at 338 yards with .178gr off my .300 WM - had pencil size entry and exit but the internals are all souped up. DRT!

2. Shot a coyote at the boiler area @ ~200 yards with .178gr off my .300 WM- the only thing it together was the underbelly fur/skin. Almost cut it half - yikes!

3. Shot a WT doe at the boiler area @ 150 yards with .208gr off my .300 WM- pencil size entry and ~ 3 inch exit hole/2 ribs broken and internals souped up. DRT!

Sorry I have no pictures. The pros will be here soon to chime in and share their experiences.

Good luck and happy safe hunting/shooting. Cheers!

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:18 AM
Gold Member

i have had good luch with the amax for hunting. I think you would see about the same results as the berger but with the polymer tip i think it will help expansion at lower velocity.
Savage Target Action 6mm-284
Savage Target Action 6.5x47 Lapua
Savage Predator Hunter Max1 6.5-284 Norma
Savage Predator Hunter Max 1 22-284 Norma
Savage Bear Hunter 338 Win Mag
"Gotta Kill It Before You Can Grill It"
Old 08-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Silver Member

Just as a matter of my own preference I do not use target type bullets on anything I want to eat when the impact velocity is expected to be over 1,800 fps. and very much prefer 1,700 fps or less. At the lower velocity of longer ranges, target bullets behave very nicely with very good terminal ballistics. Amax is a good bullet but for intended long range hunting I use the brand ( any brand ) that the rifle likes the best and for some reason the Bullets are almost always Sierra or Berger!
Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM
Bronze Member

With the sheer amount of deer that have been killed with 100gr pp, 130gr etc I honestly can't see why my 208gr amax wouldn't do the job. I will be using them for deer at all ranges this year as well as black bear if I see a nice cinamon come to my barrel and longer range moose If i can swing the trip. I have 200gr nabs for close range moose as well.

Even if that 208 amax loses half it's weight on a deer at 50 yards it's still going to completely dump that deer/bear.

Cheers
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member

There are lots of folks here that have plenty of field experience and hunting successes with the A-Max. Michael Eichele comes to mind with his .308.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/arti...nchester-1.php

He's probably too busy afield in the wilderness of Alaska but hopefully he'll chime in ... or do a search on some of his posts/threads on the same subject.

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.

Last edited by FEENIX; 08-15-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:37 PM
Silver Member

I will be sending the 208gn A-max at anything that comes out this year.and thats from both the 300wm and my 308.havenn't yet tried them in a 223.but really want to build a 1:7 twist to shoot the 80gn A-max.then I'll let you know just what it will kill when I get that fare.

but yess try it to see for yourself.then if you seem to feel different then got to a Berger or something like it.just want know till you try.but they do a great job from what I know.the doe feel like a bag a rocks.and really think the same for the buck I have been watching this year.

you wil hear from both sides on this.and yes both sides give really good reason to why or why not.till you see for your self and know just what you and your loads can do you want know.many say no for a smk BUT UNCLE SAM SAYS YES FOR ALL THE SNIPERS WE HAVE.and thats whats on top of what most guys say about useing a smk for hunting all so.who knows.read one time what some one said and will pass it on.

if you can get a rock to go 2700 fps what you think it will do to a deer when placed in the right place. ( KILL IT )

Last edited by Johnboy; 08-16-2011 at 03:43 PM.