Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hornady bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: Hornady bullets

I have had a similar experience with Hornady (only mabey more extreme) I love Hornady bullet's for varmint hunting because they are accurate and explosive because of their proprietary copper-butter jacket, but a couple years ago I was out shooting through the chronograph with goodgrouper testing loads for my 7mmRemMag. I tried several different powder's and seating depth's with 2 different bullets The 160gr Accubond and the 154gr Interbond.
After the first test I had to get a bigger 100yard target to accurately measure the groups. the 160gr Accubonds were not stellar shooting around an inch to inch and a quarter but the Hornady 154gr Interbond shot around a foot to a foot and a quarter. I tried 3 different powders and 3 different seating depths and never shot 1 group under 12" (yes that is a foot) worst bullet EVER. I was unlucky enough to buy 200 of the same lot and still have 75 left if someone else needs a laugh LOT# 04-022
UB
Old 10-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleB View Post
I have had a similar experience with Hornady (only maybe more extreme) I love Hornady bullet's for varmint hunting because they are accurate and explosive because of their proprietary copper-butter jacket, but a couple years ago I was out shooting through the chronograph with goodgrouper testing loads for my 7mmRemMag. I tried several different powder's and seating depth's with 2 different bullets The 160gr Accubond and the 154gr Interbond.
After the first test I had to get a bigger 100yard target to accurately measure the groups. The 160gr Accubonds were not stellar shooting around an inch to inch and a quarter but the Hornady 154gr Interbond shot around a foot to a foot and a quarter. I tried 3 different powders and 3 different seating depths and never shot 1 group under 12" (yes that is a foot) worst bullet EVER. I was unlucky enough to buy 200 of the same lot and still have 75 left if someone else needs a laugh LOT# 04-022
UB
UB,

I'd tape those bullets to a paper target and use them as your bullseye while shooting some Nosler or Berger bullets at them. GG could probably shoot the plastic tips off of them with his new Krieger barrel.

Good grief - 12" groups! Couldn't do any worse if those were loaded butt-ends forward. I had some .338 225 grain Hornady Spire Points that shot about 6-8" groups out of my 338 Win Mag 12 or more years ago. They patterned like 00 buckshot. But your 12" + groups has gotta set some kind of record! Take that box of bullets and fire them out of a home-made cannon. Get rid of'em all at once.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

UB, you sure you didn't get some Lost Rivers loaded and thought they were hornady's?
Old 10-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

I have found the AMAX to be much easier to ge to shoot than the SST or Interbonds. I was really looking forward to the Interbonds when they came out but never could get either the 139 grain or 154 grain 7mm ones to shoot.

The 7 mm 162 AMAX is a completely different animal though. Not to hard to get to shoot at all.

This summer I started shooting the 6.5mm 140 AMAX and am having decent luck with that as well ...

The 52 grain AMAX is amazing in the AR-15! And so are the 55 grain VMAX!

We need Jerry Teo to write a special arcticle on how to get Hornady bullets to shoot well, I have read he shoots a lot of them.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:36 PM
SPONSOR

well i checked a few of our bullets today and so far we dont have any of those lot number phorwath, but we are swamped right now and i dont have time to check them all, i will try later.

does any one know at what step in the process the polymer tip is added to on the interbond bullets??? i just wonder at what point the bonding is done and when the tip is added and if there could be some problem there.

it just sucks that there is that much of a problem with the bonded bullets and the amax's work so well.

would be interesting to find out

steve
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
1-800-522-3314
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Old 10-23-2008, 10:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lerch View Post
does any one know at what step in the process the polymer tip is added to on the interbond bullets??? i just wonder... ...when the tip is added and if there could be some problem there.

steve
I suspected it was happening during "Happy Hour".
Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 PM
Silver Member

my best group with interbonds and sst have been about 1.5". went back to conventional non plastic tip hornady bullets and all is well.