Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2014, 02:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Courtney View Post
The 155 AMAX is loaded by Hornady in their .308 TAP load, and this load has been extensively tested in gelatin by various agencies. It's performance in humans and deer is expected to be very very good, and it is highly recommended in .308 and 30-06.

The basic bullet design is a thin jacket, a soft lead core, a plastic tip, and excellent uniformity. As in the old days, penetration will be governed mostly by sectional density and impact velocity. If you need 12-15" of penetration for human or deer sized targets, keeping the impact velocity below 2900 ft/s is recommended for AMAX bullets of moderate sectional density (155-168 AMAX in .308). Once you get to the heaviest AMAX bullets in a given caliber (140 grain 6.5 and 208 in .308), keeping the impact velocity below 2900 ft/s will give you more like 18+" of penetration, and the issue becomes whether or not the bullet weight and impact velocity provide sufficient energy to accomplish the task at hand.

There are no magic bullets, but the high BCs and accuracy of the Hornady AMAX line tend to deliver long range performance if the sectional density and retained energy and velocity are chosen properly for the task.

I wouldn't batt an eyelash if I needed to use any AMAX above 5.56 mm in a non magnum load on deer.
Thank you again for this valuable information! My impact velocities will definitely be within the limits of the A-MAXs and should work exceptionally well. To me these things are pretty much the magic bullet, high BC, available in great weights, match grade accuracy and tolerances, and wicked performance on game. I can't wait to try the 208s in my .308 Norma and the 168s in my cousin's .308 Winchester!
Old 01-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
The 10 twist should work just fine.......rich
Do you believe a 155gr A-MAX will stabilize in a 10 twist?
Old 01-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud96 View Post
Do you believe a 155gr A-MAX will stabilize in a 10 twist?
I'm not Rich but they stabilize fine. It's not the most optimum combo but its a decent combo.

I've played around with the 155 amax and 10x barrels out to 600 yards and the 155 in 11.25x barrels to 1K.

From a hunting standpoint, I won't use the 155 amax anymore. I've had so so results with the 155 but stellar results with the 168, and 178 amaxs.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
I'm not Rich but they stabilize fine. It's not the most optimum combo but its a decent combo.

I've played around with the 155 amax and 10x barrels out to 600 yards and the 155 in 11.25x barrels to 1K.

From a hunting standpoint, I won't use the 155 amax anymore. I've had so so results with the 155 but stellar results with the 168, and 178 amaxs.
Ok thanks Mike! We'll just stick with 168s.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:11 AM
Gold Member

Now that I'm so interested in these A-MAXs, has anyone used them on game in other calibers such as 6mm (.243), 6.5mm (.264), or 7mm (.284)? Looking forward to these in other rifles, thanks!
Old 01-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud96 View Post
Now that I'm so interested in these A-MAXs, has anyone used them on game in other calibers such as 6mm (.243), 6.5mm (.264), or 7mm (.284)? Looking forward to these in other rifles, thanks!
Yes! We have used them very successfully in the 6.5 Sherman. They are deadly on deer and used with some common sense, I think they would also be a good elk bullet, especially at longer ranges. One example was a deer taken at 400 yards nearly facing. The bullet entered the junction of the shoulder/neck, took out the heart and lungs causing a lot of damage, and ended up in the off rib cage. If I remember correctly, it shed about 2/3 of its weight but still had the base section intact.......Rich
Old 01-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Yes! We have used them very successfully in the 6.5 Sherman. They are deadly on deer and used with some common sense, I think they would also be a good elk bullet, especially at longer ranges. One example was a deer taken at 400 yards nearly facing. The bullet entered the junction of the shoulder/neck, took out the heart and lungs causing a lot of damage, and ended up in the off rib cage. If I remember correctly, it shed about 2/3 of its weight but still had the base section intact.......Rich
Wow that's impressive! I'm really looking forward to these! Seems like the best long range bullet around. Would really like to try the 105 grainers in my .243 Winchester. Wish they had the A-MAXs in the .277 cal for my .270 WIN and cousins .270 WSM.