Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

It's hard to EVER go wrong with behind the shoulder hits. Shoulders can be a good thing but can also be a bad thing.

In my experience with the 208, at least with a mature Alaskan/Yukon bull moose, the shoulder is not the place to put a 208. A cow elk or average bull elk might be another story but big moose and the 208 is not a good combo. Lets just leave it at that. All that said, there's not a lot of bullets that I trust for shoulder shots on mature Alaska bull moose. Ribs, a lot if good bullet choices. Shoulders, not so much.

I love the 208 amax for hunting but it has limits like everything else. Use it accordingly.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
It's hard to EVER go wrong with behind the shoulder hits. Shoulders can be a good thing but can also be a bad thing.

In my experience with the 208, at least with a mature Alaskan/Yukon bull moose, the shoulder is not the place to put a 208. A cow elk or average bull elk might be another story but big moose and the 208 is not a good combo. Lets just leave it at that. All that said, there's not a lot of bullets that I trust for shoulder shots on mature Alaska bull moose. Ribs, a lot if good bullet choices. Shoulders, not so much.

I love the 208 amax for hunting but it has limits like everything else. Use it accordingly.
Thank you for this great honest info. I had planned on shoulder hits for deer and the rest behind the shoulder but just wanted to see what others were doing. If I ever go moose hunting I would probably bring a heavy caliber rifle like a .358 Norma, which I plan to build for bear and moose, but knowing where to place the shot ethnically on a moose with an A-MAX is valuable info in case I take the .308 Norma moose hunting. Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

You won't have any trouble with the 168-208 amax regarding deer and shoulders. We've hit coues deer which are small but also mature dall sheep rams through the shoulders with 168 amaxs. Flawless.

Just a guess, the 168 amax may be a hair lean if the target is the shoulder of the largest of mature mule deer bucks but I think they'd still do alright. Especially at longer ranges after they slow down a bit.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
You won't have any trouble with the 168-208 amax regarding deer and shoulders. We've hit coues deer which are small but also mature dall sheep rams through the shoulders with 168 amaxs. Flawless.

Just a guess, the 168 amax may be a hair lean if the target is the shoulder of the largest of mature mule deer bucks but I think they'd still do alright. Especially at longer ranges after they slow down a bit.
Thanks! I figured I'd be ok on deer. Now one other question, my cousin just bought a Remington 700 .308 and we want to get him set up for close range deer hunting in the woods and field hunting out to 700yds. Do you believe the 168gr A-MAX would fill both these roles? I know it will work for the far shots but worried about it for those close 50yd shots. Originally was going to use 165gr SSTs but they don't have the BC to carry their energy out to 6-700yds, now that I'm turned onto these A-MAXs I'd like to have him use them too.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud96 View Post
Thanks! I figured I'd be ok on deer. Now one other question, my cousin just bought a Remington 700 .308 and we want to get him set up for close range deer hunting in the woods and field hunting out to 700yds. Do you believe the 168gr A-MAX would fill both these roles? I know it will work for the far shots but worried about it for those close 50yd shots. Originally was going to use 165gr SSTs but they don't have the BC to carry their energy out to 6-700yds, now that I'm turned onto these A-MAXs I'd like to have him use them too.
I think they'd do pretty good but I would favor the 178. I think the 308, 178 were made for each other and will do better up closer. My only wish is that hornady made a 190 class amax. I've killed a number of Sitka black tails with the 178 at high velocity. I trust them for sure. If his rifle favors the 168, I'd go with it but I'd try the 178s 1st.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud96 View Post
I'll let Michael speak for himself, but I would say go for it! The 308 should be perfect for that round and what you want to accomplish. Not too much velocity for close up but enough to expand at 700 yards.......rich
Old 01-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

I use 178's in my 'o6......Rich