Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

I have had good success with the 140's in my 6.5 Sherman as has my partner. I would second what Michael Eichele said though; stay away from heavy animals especially at close range. The A-max will expand at very low velocity which makes it a good "long range bullet" or closer to intermediate range on deer sized game especially in a lower velocity rifle.......Rich
Old 01-14-2014, 12:30 PM

I killed several hogs and deer this year with the 208 amax from my 300 win mag at 2900 FPS. From 100 yds to a little over 500 on a couple hogs. All were DRT.

As far as where to get them, I have good luck backordering them from MidwayUSA and then having them shipped to me when they come in. I just yesterday approved a backorder of them for 5 boxes. (100 count per box).
Old 01-14-2014, 12:40 PM
Gold Member

Ok thank you. I will order some from Midway!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

We've tested the 208 AMAX across a range of velocities in gelatin.

It is our preferred load in .300 Win Mag.

We have not shot anything heavily boned yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt bull elk or black bear with it. That much lead with that high a sectional density is going to reach the vitals from any angle other than 6 O'Clock.

The 208 is a different deal from the 168 or even the 140 grain 6.5 mm. The older generations understood that one could make up for a fragile bullet design with enough mass and sectional density, and the passage of time has not changed this truth.

I think the 208 AMAX offers equal or better terminal performance to the 220 Hornady round nose at any equivalent target and impact velocity.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Platinum Member

Michael.....that is an interesting observation with the round nose which isn't often talked about on this forum but was used extensively as a big game load years ago. I agree that the round nose was probably every bit as explosive with equal velocities. That big'ol exposed lead area didn't take much to mushroom. Here is a "real life" example: when I was a young fellow in Mi., my dad used a Rem 721 '06 with Rem corelokt bullets. He killed LOTS of deer which often ran 100 yards or more at 60 mph before they crashed! These corelokts have killed a lot of game, don't get me wrong, but they were a bit too heavily constructed for white tails IMO. I loaded him up some 150 hornady round nose bullets at about 3000'. He never shot anything much more than 100 yards. The first deer he shot with one, he came back to me and said " I think there was something wrong with those bullets you loaded"! When I asked him why he said, "well I shot this buck and for the first time ever, the bullet didn't exit". I said "where did the deer go dad"? I will never forget the look on his face when he said "DOWN"! I rest my case......Rich
Old 01-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Courtney View Post
We've tested the 208 AMAX across a range of velocities in gelatin.

It is our preferred load in .300 Win Mag.

We have not shot anything heavily boned yet, but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt bull elk or black bear with it. That much lead with that high a sectional density is going to reach the vitals from any angle other than 6 O'Clock.

The 208 is a different deal from the 168 or even the 140 grain 6.5 mm. The older generations understood that one could make up for a fragile bullet design with enough mass and sectional density, and the passage of time has not changed this truth.

I think the 208 AMAX offers equal or better terminal performance to the 220 Hornady round nose at any equivalent target and impact velocity.
Wow! Thank you so much for this info! This is exactly the kind of information I need. Do you happen to have any pics of the gelatin that you shot with the A-MAXs? Also what kind of damage did this bullet do to bull elk? One last question, do you prefer to shoot animals straight on the shoulder or behind it? I've heard people say they like shoulder hits and others that said behind the shoulder. Thanks again!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Michael.....that is an interesting observation with the round nose which isn't often talked about on this forum but was used extensively as a big game load years ago. I agree that the round nose was probably every bit as explosive with equal velocities. That big'ol exposed lead area didn't take much to mushroom. Here is a "real life" example: when I was a young fellow in Mi., my dad used a Rem 721 '06 with Rem corelokt bullets. He killed LOTS of deer which often ran 100 yards or more at 60 mph before they crashed! These corelokts have killed a lot of game, don't get me wrong, but they were a bit too heavily constructed for white tails IMO. I loaded him up some 150 hornady round nose bullets at about 3000'. He never shot anything much more than 100 yards. The first deer he shot with one, he came back to me and said " I think there was something wrong with those bullets you loaded"! When I asked him why he said, "well I shot this buck and for the first time ever, the bullet didn't exit". I said "where did the deer go dad"? I will never forget the look on his face when he said "DOWN"! I rest my case......Rich
Haha I bet he never changed loads either after you loaded those slugs up! My buddy still shoots 150gr Core Lokts in his '06 for whitetail and he drops them every time or they run dead for a max of 50yds. He does all of his shooting under 100yds though and I'm getting him turned on to long range shooting and hopefully will get him set up with his own rig soon.