Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Gold Member

Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

I would like to know if anyone has any experience taking game with a Hornady 208gr AMAX. Basically tell how they performed and what they were used in, what range they were used at, and what game you took with them. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Hornady 208gr AMAX For Hunting

I have shot a couple Sitka blacktail with my 300 ultra mag and 30.06 shooting 168 grain a Max. Plus a big brown bear with my 30.06 with a 168 Amax.

I shot this deer at 636 yards with my 300 ultra mag.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:01 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I've shot a lot of game with a variety of amaxs including the 208. I don't recommend them for mature thick skinned large boned male mammals that's for sure but for up to large mule deer and caribou, they're awesome. Many 'match' bullets are very unpredictable on game. The amax is very predictable. It expands very rapidly on skin, flesh or bone. Even at low velocity. That said, don't hit heavy shoulder bones up close on big animals.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Silver Member

They've worked 100% for me on speedies & deer (I've avoided heavy bone). I have a good friend who's killed a few elk, many deer, and piles of speedies with them- at a variety of ranges out to ~1k. I even watched him hammer a blackie at 862 yards last spring with them. I love them for hunting.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

Thanks for all the info guys! Keep it coming! Nice shooting badandy, looks like the AMAXs worked for you! My use would be on white tail here in WV and in PA out of a .308 Norma at extended ranges from 250-700yds so if you guys are taking down bear, black tails, and sitka they are definitely going to work for me! I have a few boxes of 190 SMKs but don't want to risk shooting one with a bullet with such a little hollow point that may not expand. Eventually I'd like to go hunting out West for Mule Deer and Elk, if this slug works on big game I might just stick with it when I head out into the mountains! Thanks.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:57 AM
Bronze Member

Everything I shoot with them I shoot like its a bow shot. If you put it in either the crease behind the shoulder. It litterally looks like the swallowed a hand grenade. Even the deer above it went in one side and came out the other about the size f a half dollar it just sucked stuff out lol. I have never shot anything with them that didn't DRT.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:08 AM
Gold Member

Thanks Andy! I was curious on where to place the shot. Didn't know whether to shoulder shoot them like I do with my Hornady SSTs or hit them behind the shoulder like you suggested. I figure a white tail would drop with either shot I decided to take with the energy I'm making, but don't want to risk anything so going to listen to your extensive experience. Thanks!