Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hope I didn't make a mistake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2008, 01:19 AM

Hope I didn't make a mistake

Happy New Year Folks,

I hope I didn't make a mistake with a new gun that I just ordered. I was in the market for a new long range mountain rifle for HUNTING, not bench rest shooting. I've grown up shooting Weatherby Mark V rifles and for the last 10 or so years, the 30-378 Weatherby Magnum has been my first choice caliber. The only problem with my current setup is that is weighs in at 14 lbs, which makes for a long day of hunting.

After much debate I decided to have Christensen Arms build me up a custom rifles using Weatherby Mark V action in this caliber and a match grade barrel. They guarantee 1/2 inch MOA accuracy. However, upon reading some of the reviews, I get the impression that most people don't hold high opinions of these guys. Some of these reviews are 4+ years old. The term "Watch your back Jack" has been engrained in my mind.

My main decision for selecting Christensen Arms was that I wanted a lighweight custom rifle with a specific caliber and action. I was not interested in any wildcat calibers like the McMillan Outdoorsman rifles and I am not a fan of 90 degree actions. Christensen Arms said they could build a rifle to meet my specifications and so far have been easy to work with.

Should I be concerned regarding their workmanship and the delivery of said product per the order agreement? Any advise moving forward and checking the quality of the rifle once it is built?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:39 AM
Silver Member

Re: Hope I didn't make a mistake

Is it too late to cancel? If you can cancel it, I would. I have heard really bad things about them. If you can cancel the order, Get in contact with Kirby Allen or Fiftydriver on this site. He can easily build what you want and in the cartridge you want, too. I gurantee, he will build you a better rifle, and I bet it would be cheaper. I have heard of this company really being over priced for what they do. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems like I hear many bad things about them. I am just reporting what I have heard.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:08 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

You should have come here first. For the $$ youre about to spend you can get twice the rifle from some of the guys here.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Gold Member

+1 on Kirby Allen. I have seen the prices of the Christenson Arms guns they are outrageous for what you get. Kirby would give you a far better rifle at much less money.

I'm sure some of the other gunsmiths on this forum are comparable in cost and value, I just don't have first hand experience with them.

I would bail on the deal if you can............
Old 12-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Platinum Member

That's it fella, don't hold back, don't pull punches. Tell it like it is........

idig4au, what a downer that turned out to be.......... Cheer up, the sun will come out tomorrow.

I concur with with the previous posts.
Old 12-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

I must agree with the Professor on this one----keep your money!!
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 PM

Hey guys. Thanks for the comments. I wish I knew of this forum beforehand. But I think I am too far down the path of no return with my order as it was placed several months ago. What done is done I suppose.

I guess all I can do is keep my chin up and see how it shoots on the range when I get it. As long as it is as accurate as my other weatherby 30-378 which is a tack driver and weighs less, I'll be happy. The way I see it, the elk is not going to know the difference if it gets hit an inch off target.

From the few post I have read here, it doesn't sound like gunsmiths like to use Mark V actions as they can be pain to face up and etc.

And on the positive side, if the new rifle ends up not what I am looking for, then it gives me the excuse to go build up another one or part this one out. Just don't tell the wife.