Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Holy Crap! Seriously savage?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2010, 03:55 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Holy Crap! Seriously savage?

Derek no I have not got your pm yet.

The load is 69 gr of IMR4831 its a little mild only 2950. (50 fps) understand what I could get I think but ill take it! Thanks guys I think we will be sending that to savage and Barnes.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Platinum Member

Doesn't surprise me at all. I got the inside scoop about savage several years ago from a friend who is a benchrest shooter. He told me when they shoot factory you might as well call it the savage line. Here is his last accomplishment he told me about yesterday when I got to visit with him before work.
(scroll down to the 600yd IBS)
Benchrest Daily Bulletin

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran

Last edited by blipelt; 11-01-2010 at 06:17 PM. Reason: fix link
Old 11-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Gold Member

Kinda crude but for 55 years they have put out great shooting rifles. Buttoned
rifled barrels and that front barrel nut seem to be their secret. I don't don't understand
why no other gun makers have tried it. AR's shoot great with the same type barrel
mounting. Congrats on the 300, it shoots like a 222.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
... Buttoned rifled barrels and that front barrel nut seem to be their secret...
Don't forget the floating bolt head too.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
Kinda crude but for 55 years they have put out great shooting rifles. Buttoned
rifled barrels and that front barrel nut seem to be their secret. I don't don't understand
why no other gun makers have tried it. AR's shoot great with the same type barrel
mounting. Congrats on the 300, it shoots like a 222.
I hear the crude comment all the time, but still want to know just what is crude about them?
gary
Old 11-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickymissfit View Post
I hear the crude comment all the time, but still want to know just what is crude about them?
gary
I think the bolt lift / cocking mechanisim not being as smooth as some of the other actions out there gives the impression that they are crude or clanky. Some people think the barrel nut is ugly and some don't care for the stocks. The one thing that is hard to argue is the accuracy for an out of the box rifle
Old 11-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Platinum Member

As far as the action you can do the same thing to them as a remington or any other action. Fred Moreo Savage Sharpshooters will square and time the action just like most gunsmiths do for a remington. I was going to have it done on the last savage I had and see how much smoother it would be. I sold the rifle before even firing a round and built another one. Half the fun to me is building them. Savage has been catering to the long range crowd for quite some time now. I see weatherby, remington, Kimber and others are starting to build specific tactical rifles to try and get a piece if the the pie now too.

Here is a video of some problems and how my gunsmith fixes them.
Bolt Handle attach and timing /SSG at One True Media - share slideshows, slide shows, Facebook slideshows, free video sharing, video montages.

Brent

"The will to win, compares little with the will to prepare to win" Donovan Moran