Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

hollow point bullet question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 08:27 PM
Bronze Member

hollow point bullet question

I am new to metallic reloading, not the best time to get into it from an availability of components, but that is another topic.

Anyway I have picked up a few boxes of hollow point bullets from different manufacturers in .224 and .243 and have observed on all of them that the jacket edges are very uneven across the hollow points. seems like poor quality control to me.

Seems to me that the more uniform the tips the better the accuracy???

I have not shot any yet, and also don't want to be wasting time and resources on something without finding out some information first.

So from you experienced folks.... do I need to get a trimmer and square them up...

I am not bench rest shooting, but I like tiny groups for thumping varmints.

this sort of has me thinking that the v-max and blitzking style bullets with the uniform points might be a good thing...

thanks for the feedback.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Re: hollow point bullet question

The tip of the hollow point is usually a little ragged. It really doesn't have much affect until you get to long range. There is a meplat trimmer that will make them all consistent. By shortening the meplat, you will make the BC a little lower but not much. There has been some discussion of this in the past.

I have a meplat trimmer that I planned on using, but my stuff shoots so well that I've not experimented with it much.

One other thing, trimming the hollowpoint a little can help the bullet open up better on the matchking type hollowpoints.

hope this helps,
AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives