Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Hitting Right On With The First Shot And Barrel Preparation.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2003, 07:33 PM
Bronze Member

Hitting Right On With The First Shot And Barrel Preparation.

Other factors aside like bedding, temperature etc. I have done a little testing of various barrel cleaning and non cleaning techinques. On another forum an experiance big game hunter and myself said to just sight it in, tape over the muzzle and go hunting! While this is easy now that it's varmint season the targets are smaller and the accuracy of hitting right on with the first shot is more critical. I realize that long range hunting would also have this as a desireable feature.

Right now I am cleaning the barrel and lightly oiling it. Nothing unusual at all about this! It does seem to hit right on with more consistancy and of course the first group is better also.

I won't bore you with my barrel cleaning proceedure but it's very conventional. I just use #9 solvent, brass brush, wipe clean and oil it.

On yet another forum a smith who prepares rifles for tactical police snipers says that after normal cleaning they wipe out the bore with 99% Iso alcohol. I don't agree with that one.

I am leaving fouling shots out of this discussion. Of course that's the way to do it but I don't want to fire a shot just before hunting nor can I most of the time.

What do you do?
Old 05-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Hitting Right On With The First Shot And Barrel Preparation.

After checking zero just before a hunting trip I always run a dry patch thru the barrel. With some of my rifles this is all that is necessary because they'll then shoot the first round right into the group; with others I have to shoot a fouler.

The best in this regard is my 270.

jmbn
Old 05-21-2003, 06:40 AM
Bronze Member

I have four custom rifles in four different calibers and of four, two of them put the first shot on call from a clean cold barrel. One a Krieger barreled 260, the other a Douglas barreled 223. The two that don't a Lilja barreled 300 WSM, and a Douglas barreled 308. The 300 WSM puts the first shot from a clean cold barrel 3/4 MOA high every time. The 308 puts the first shot 1 MOA left every time. I have no idea why. I have talked to several shooters and have got no good explaination as to why this occurs. If some body figures it out let me know.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:58 AM
Gold Member

I clean with bore tech cleaners and copper removers then use Kroil 1 patch then 1 dry patch. I think the Kroil helps with copper fouling. The crow I shot at 870 meters was on a clean cold barrel . This works good for me but when hunting season comes I shoot 2 or 3 fouler shots a few days before season and don't clean the bore tell season is over.
Crow Mag
Old 05-21-2003, 01:48 PM

In our training classes we have each student clean their rifle their way in the morning and shoot a cold bore-clean bore shot. At lunch we supervise their cleaning, making them do it our way and then fire two fouling shots, send them to lunch. After lunch we have them fire a cold bore-fouled bore shot at a seperate target from their morning bullseye.

At the end of the week they have something approaching a shotgun pattern on their morning target, and a nice controlled group about 1/4 to 3/8 MOA low of their hot zero on the afternoon target.

That third shot out of a fouled bore is hard to beat for predictability.
Old 05-21-2003, 05:04 PM
Bronze Member

Wow, excellent topic and very very important! I have been busy playing with my stuff and doing well, but this topic has always been in the back of my mind. You gentlemen have now placed it right out in front, where it belongs!! "One shot, one kill" Thats what it is all about,whether it's a 200 yard off-hander, or a well thought out long range shot, a one shot clean kill is what we should strive for. S1, thanks for that information, I plan to try that technique as it seems like the right program [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-21-2003, 05:52 PM

Meathead... Our tests have been done with either the .308 win, 300 win. mag., .338 Lapua, or the 50 BMG. Your rifle and cartridge combo may vary a shot in either direction, but it is a simple test to run for each rifle, so each shooter can easily determine what works best for his system. I have never seen the rifle that shoots more predictable out of a clean bore than with a fouling shot or two, it may be out there, I have just never seen one that would.