Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

High Dollar Rifles...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Bronze Member

Re: High Dollar Rifles...

Thanks...good points on the why's....i'm the simpler is always better type...and most over the counter rifles will shoot better than average shooter can...and it is true a better or more accurate rifle will enhance a shooters ability...smallbore rifle competition I learned is absolutely best way to learn to shoot accurately...same hold, cheek weld, trigger control, follow through and so on....i don't believe a rifle any more accurate than what I have would make me a better shooter...my eyes are not what they used to be...I also know some shooters will never shoot any better regardless of how expensive there rifle is...I do appreciate the rifles you build and in no way am I saying anything bad about them...the best is never cheap....I just wonder where money, skill and need come to a compromise...
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Platinum Member

Over 20 years ago I bought a high dollar, to me rifle, 340 WM. I was in early 20's and it was a lot of bucks back then. First game, 6+ spring bear, next 6X6 @ 500 + yrds. 5X5 whitey all one and done. That rifle was in my hands on big bears, 165''+ whitey, a small herd of 6pt. bulls over the years, one @ 850. Big mountain muleys and a 51" MT moose. It has treated me right now it is time for my boy to pack the stick
Old 02-10-2012, 12:10 AM
Bronze Member

I bought a 338 EDGE from Defensive Edge. Sure, it was an expensive rifle, but I was able to have it built exactly how I wanted it. To be honest, I wanted one of their rifles and I could afford it. In addition to getting a superbly built rifle that hits what I aim for everytime (if I do my part), I also had the pleasure of getting to know Shawn and Bob who are couple of great people.

If I had to do it over again, I would.
Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks EDuc8r, that is more what I was asking.....and I have no doubt by your post why you spent the extra money and why you feel it was worth it. I feel same way about my Armalite....it may not be as hand made or as accurate as your custom but for me it is everything I will ever need....it's basic, but it's not...Armalite replies to every email fast to any questions a customer may have....and ammo is easy to get...