Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

High Dollar Rifles...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Bronze Member

High Dollar Rifles...

I own Armalite AR30 in .338 lapua with Weaver Front Focal mil-dot scope, sling and bipod, rifle shoots 1/2 moa to at least a 1000 ( far as I have been able to shoot it so far) I have $2800.00 in package......rifle is as rugged as they come, recoil is like 20 gauge shotgun at most....why are there so many rifles out there that cost 3k and up for bare rifle that do not shoot, or are built any better....if Armalite can build a rifle like the AR30 that is rugged and shoots as good as anything else ...for a lot less...why pay the big money ? curious to opinions....
Old 02-08-2012, 06:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: High Dollar Rifles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt4lfe View Post
I own Armalite AR30 in .338 lapua with Weaver Front Focal mil-dot scope, sling and bipod, rifle shoots 1/2 moa to at least a 1000 ( far as I have been able to shoot it so far) I have $2800.00 in package......rifle is as rugged as they come, recoil is like 20 gauge shotgun at most....why are there so many rifles out there that cost 3k and up for bare rifle that do not shoot, or are built any better....if Armalite can build a rifle like the AR30 that is rugged and shoots as good as anything else ...for a lot less...why pay the big money ? curious to opinions....

Commence the opening of the can o' worms.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Bronze Member

NOT trying to open can of worms....reasons or opinions for spending the extra money....is the price differences worth it and how ? I personally would love to be able to afford a Barrett .416...
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 PM
Gold Member

IMO yes. If you can afford it. You got lucky which is great. I have some out of the box rifles and ARs that will shoot with any custom. But as a norm, IMO you get what you pay for. With anything. Optics, Rifles etc.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt4lfe View Post
NOT trying to open can of worms....reasons or opinions for spending the extra money....is the price differences worth it and how ? I personally would love to be able to afford a Barrett .416...

Let me take a stab at this, a new friend of mine from the forum schooled me up pretty good. Heres what i took from what he said.

The reason for the price difference, or accuracy difference in factory rifles is because the tool used to crank out barrels get worn out (small amount like .002 ect) but that's why some rifles out of the box tend to shoot better than others cause barrel #22 is gonna be different than barrel #89 just due to the fact of machining the barrel is going to wear on the equipment itself, albeit very miniscule. But that small amount will show up, whether its at 100 yards, or 1,000.

So, the custom barrels don't cookie cutter equipment, because they dont have to crank out 1,000's of rifles. Your paying for custom hand work, and usually getting every penny worth of it assuming you load is where it should be. Now thats not to say out of the box guns won't shoot great, because as we all know, they often can and will shoot great. But I tend to think of it in terms like this, for every 10 out of the box guns thats shoots better than 1 MOA, there are 50 that dont. Likewise for every custom gun that shoots better than 1MOA there are 5 that dont. You get what you pay for in most cases. Some are luckier than others.

By all means, correct me if I am mistaken, this is just my .02$ from what I understood.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Bronze Member

I own a Weatherby Vanguard 338 Win Mag. It cost me $387.00+ tax. I have a $500.00 Vortex Viper HS scope on it. I have a $22.00 sling on it. It shoots 1/2 MOA at 300 with my custom loads using accubonds, H4831sc and and Federal Magnum primers. I use $26.00 Lee collet die set and a $31.00 Redding Body die.

I wonder why people buy $2800 rifles, $1600.00 scopes and $300 reloading dies?
Old 02-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

The smart ass answer is.... because it's my money and I want EXACTLY what I have pictured in my head as the perfect gun.

Technical(sorta) answer is not only can you get exactly what you want if the thing doesn't shoot to the expectations established between you and the smith there can be recourse. It is also paying the builder for thier expertise, the barrel maker for thiers and on up the ladder. I wanted one of the wildcats based on the 408 and that simply isn't available from a factory. If your remmy doesn't shoot even 2 MOA they probably won't help you.

It's like saying i don't know why you spent all that money on a AR-30 when you can get the savage cheaper. How about why spend $500 on a scope when the highpower guys can shoot 1/2 MOA with open sites.

I really spend so much money on guns to help the poor starving gunsmiths that couldn't possibly get by without my help....... just doing my part to keep unemployment down. Thats what I tell the wife anyway!!!!