Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

High BC 375 Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 09-15-2006, 11:36 AM
Bronze Member
Re: High BC 375 Bullets

d-a... on group sizes, here you are. These are trajectory measuring groups. 4 shots is intentional, there is no 5th shot. Much of the shooting so far is on sub MOA steel targets as the guys that were here for the 24-27 shoot. 12' x 12s, 12 x 20s, 24s x 24x etc., at unknown distances. Using a computer algorith that I developed in the late 80s, I can back calculate the exact BC if I have the muzzle velocity for the shot, and the elevation setting from a parallel bore. Intentional long range groups will be further researched next week.

As you know, the trouble with that is when a human is attached to a gun, MOST humans are outshot by the gun, yet the gun/ammo is judged based on what the human did or didn't do. Hence some arguements that some don't get the performance out of a certain gun (50 cal military guns is a great example), ammo, or bullets (LRBT in some cases).

Unread 09-15-2006, 11:37 AM
Bronze Member

Sorry, forgot to attach the pic.

Unread 09-15-2006, 11:45 AM
Bronze Member

On bullet costs, you get what you pay for frankly. Yes, there are cheaper bullets in comparative calibers (338 LRBT 270 solids vs. Sierra 300 gr. MK) and such. But, there is also a huge difference in allowable error in your shot. The supersonic range of the 338 / 300 gr. SMK is pretty much 2000 yards if you drive it a 3300 fps. At more normal speeds in a 338 Lapua, it's 1600 yards. The 270 gr. LRBT 338 bullet has a 2000 yard supersonic range at NORMAL VELOCITIES. Ultimately, it depends on what you want.

SOE's primary function is training and operational sniping. Our concern is not shooting game animals, but shooting at something that shoots back, or can hurt you in other ways. Therefore, our allowable error on any target is much less because if you miss, hell can be made.

Cost is not irrelevant, because even the military has a budget, but it's bang for the buck. The .375 SOE has such range, power, High BC value, and allowable error that 1500 meter shooting is basically easy. Guys on the 24-27 shoot was that here. BUT, it does require computer generated fire control. Not the cheaper programs that use a single BC or even 3 BCs but use a database of hundreds of BC values (actually drag co-efficients).

Another potentially interesting subject, I thank you guys for the hard questions. I invite them, but if proof is provided, shoot it, support it, or go away. (said jokingly of course).
Unread 09-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Bronze Member

Steve, first question. How is a bullet ignorant? It has no brain to be ignorant of anything. Only kidding, but you get my point. I know this is a hunting website, BUT these are NOT hunting bullets. LRBT makes a high BC J36 Hunting bullet that works well. Heavy game have been taken here at long range with .408 Cheytac rifles. It's a solid, and none of them have made 2 steps yet after being hit by these long solids. (part of their wounding physiology is that long bullets start to rotate soon after encountering tip resistance. Tell me a 350 or 420 grain bullet turning sideways at 2000 fps (remaining velocity) and survive?

PS, what states don't allow these solids, i'd like to research it. Also, on your statement on these LRBT bullets not being able to be shot accurately in normal rifles, NOT TRUE. As I said above, a special barrel is used for the match bullets, because we engrave them less. Other match rifles use a tight bore to squeeze a jacketed bullet, to obtain better accuracy. The LRBT J36 hunting bullets shoot very well in conventional (remington, etc.) rifles BECAUSE they don't use tight bores and group very well out of them. This was established years ago. Is your opinion based on experience, or just a feeling? Again, is your understanding based on experience or from the "opinion" of others on a website?

Unread 09-15-2006, 12:11 PM
Platinum Member

Not really too costly for what they actually do or meant to do.

I've used the J36s in a 270. They were outstanding for big game and yotes at any distance the 270 AND I were good for. But they are only 2 bucks each. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] They shot outstanding in my Lilja barrel.

Warren gave me a couple of the 338 bullets (250 & 270grs). As I put them in my front pocket I noticed a bit of a grin on his face. About half way home I knew what the grin was all about. Had to stop and get them out of my pocket. Ouch! Meplate is maybe the width of one molecule [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Sierra 250 GameKing LRB 250 LRB 270

Sorry about the tip on the 270gr bullet. Been using it for center punch and various other nifty tools. If I han anything but a factory 338 bbl I'd be shooting them.....

Now, back to the 375 BC topic....... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
I may be the slowest guy on the mountain . . . . but . . . . I'm on the mountain!
Unread 09-15-2006, 02:39 PM

300gr SMK going sub sonic at 2000yds if launched at 3300fps????? I figure it to be closer to 2400-2500yds.

I commented on the inability to use the bullets for hunting because even though that isnt your concern it is this forums.

Again I think this is all interesting and I like your round and rifle so dont take anything the hard way, I just wanna see the proof before I buy into anything
Steve Elmenhorst
Third Generation Shooting Supply
"Products for shooters, by shooters"
monday-friday 8:30-5:30 CST
Unread 09-15-2006, 03:07 PM
Gold Member

Trigger, what´s the j36 smaller caliber performance like at short and long range ( say 264 up to .308)..similar to a barnes x/ TSX???

They are pricey.. no big deal in a hunting bullet, how much do you guys pay for a hunt???

And TRigger, just for curiosity, what kind of powders are you using on your 375??