Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

The thread is closed

Henson Aluminum Tipped Bullet Testing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2009, 07:52 PM
Lightvarmint

Henson Aluminum Tipped Bullet Testing

Hello,

We finally got some range time to test the 265s.

Before I go any further, I want to apologize to Kirby because I gave him a hard time about shooting drops for BC with the Aluminum tipped high speed and low drag bullet profiles..... Kirby I apologize. After conferring with Dr Ken Oehler about them he advised us to not use chronographs for bullets that do not meet the standard drag profiles..... These and the other ones that were made in Canada do not follow the current drag profiles that are available to me.

So, we shot some drops today. Back in December we zeroed the guns at 400 yards and then tested them at 600 just to get some trajectory information to use in the latter part of hunting season for meat expansion testing... The trajectory data was astounding and we decided not to publish it until we got some longer range drops performed.

Mr Eddybo obtained some numbers with his testing and seemed suprised at the results as we were with our testing results.....

Anyway, today we verified the 400 yard zero and then shot out to 928 on a vertical drop board. Todays results gave the same performance as the mid range testing back in December. Below is the range conditions and pertinant data. If someone could run these numbers and let us know what the results are, I would appreciate it.

338 Lapua Improved (My 1995 design with the 30 Snyper brass from Bell Labs)

1-10" twist

400 yd zero

265 gr

3245 fps at muzzle

2.13" sight height

69.6 degrees F

82% humidity

82' above sea level

29.84"Hg

calm winds... Impact points were about 1.5" to the left of the aiming point. This is well inside one click on the Nightforce 12-42 NXS scope.

At 928 yards the holes were -10.3 to -10.5 moa below the aiming point.

All the shots today were cold bore shots and they were about 10-15 minutes apart. We let the barrel cool while we went down to the target board and marked the holes. Group size was 3.5". We let the barrel cool while we went down to the target board and marked the holes.

Tomorrow the expansion tests will be performed at 928 on some phone books and newspaper I have been collecting for about 4 months.... This should not be a problem since the gun was grouping 3.5" at the 928 yard target board.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I think the 280s and the 300s will make our jaws drop open when we test them.

Hurry up RG and get me some 280s and 300s for drop testing.

James
Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: Henson Aluminum Tipped Bullet Testing

Good job.

Do you have any drop info between 400 and 928?

Thank you for apologizing to Mr Kirby. It is still many shooters opinion that the real drop method is very very reliable.

I have been a long time fan of BC calculations by two methods. 1: 2 chronographs. 2: Real drop tests at 400, 600, 700, 800, 900 and 1K. The latter is my favoraite and IMHO the most reliable. At least for me. All 2 chronies tell you is the beggining velocity and the end velocity and NOTHING in between. This is why it is so hard to get a model this way. As long as you have an accurate zero and sight height and accurate velocities as well as air density it is scary accurate.

This is also why the software I use doesnt use G1 or G5 etc......It uses a BC decay rate and is unlimited in the numbers you can use. This has been excellent for getting extremely close to matching real world drops versus program models.

Based on a G1 model or .290 for my software, youre running 1.100.

Was the pressure you stated at location or corrected for sea level??

Thanks for sharing.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.

Last edited by Michael Eichele; 04-01-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Lightvarmint

Hello,

This may help.

Additional data: Mirage was not present..... Very overcast and no waves in the scope.

Intermediate range drops with 400 yard zero @ 600 = -3.5 MOA on the target board

Intermediate range drops with 400 yard zero @602 = -3.5 MOA on the doe we shot in December.....

James
Old 04-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Using the standard .290 I come up with 3.6 MOA and 10.5. That puts it within one inch of real world data. I would need more drops to get a better model.

One inch is as good as I have ever seen as I have NEVER seen caculated drops and real drops meet 100% but usually within 1-2" at the worst part of the trajectory.

My answer to this is. The only reason is to make the 7 RM look good. There is no other reason.

Jeff.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Lightvarmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by meichele View Post
Good job.

Do you have any drop info between 400 and 928?

Thank you for apologizing to Mr Kirby. It is still many shooters opinion that the real drop method is very very reliable.

I have been a long time fan of BC calculations by two methods. 1: 2 chronographs. 2: Real drop tests at 400, 600, 700, 800, 900 and 1K. The latter is my favoraite and IMHO the most reliable. At least for me. All 2 chronies tell you is the beggining velocity and the end velocity and NOTHING in between. This is why it is so hard to get a model this way. As long as you have an accurate zero and sight height and accurate velocities as well as air density it is scary accurate.

This is also why the software I use doesnt use G1 or G5 etc......It uses a BC decay rate and is unlimited in the numbers you can use. This has been excellent for getting extremely close to matching real world drops versus program models.

Based on a G1 model or .290 for my software, youre running 1.100.

Was the pressure you stated at location or corrected for sea level??

Thanks for sharing.
M,

Pressure was not corrected.

It was station pressure at our location at the time of the shooting.

WOW! 1.100 G1 equivalient BC with the Gen II 265s.

I just can't wait until the Gen II 280s and the 300s get here for their testing..... I sure hope they studied for it.....

James

Last edited by Lightvarmint; 04-01-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Silver Member

Wow....
Old 04-02-2009, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

So where can one buy these cool bullets?

Bill

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

http://waitesandbalances.blogspot.com/
The thread is closed