Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help upgrading my Sendero?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 08:27 PM

Help upgrading my Sendero?

Ok so for a while now I have been trying to decide on a long range precision rifle and I think I finally made my decision on the Remington 700 Sendero SF II. I really like the HS precision stock and its guarantee to be one of Remingon's most accurate rifle out of the box. One thing that worries me a little though is the fluted barrel. Do you guys think this fluted barrel is of any good quality or really worth it?

So here comes the second and main question. If I were to purchase this rifle (which there is a 90% chance that I will in the next few weeks) what are some little things that I should have done to it to "accurize" it and hopefully tighten up the groups a little bit. I have hear people doing things like blueprinting the action and getting their rifle pillar bedded. I wanna hear some opinions on all of this stuff and find out if its really worth it. Thanks guys!!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
Gold Member

Re: Help upgrading my Sendero?

I love mine its chambered in 7 rem mag and shoots sub moa out to 1000 yards
I had it glass bedded recrowned and a triggger job.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

I had mine bedded & floated, I installed a jewell trigger and a wyatt extended box magazine. Good luck finding the lands, they are almost like weatherby's with the freebore and all. I can just about chamber rounds that are 4 inches long. Accurizing can't hurt it. Good luck with it.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaktastic View Post
Ok so for a while now I have been trying to decide on a long range precision rifle and I think I finally made my decision on the Remington 700 Sendero SF II. I really like the HS precision stock and its guarantee to be one of Remingon's most accurate rifle out of the box. One thing that worries me a little though is the fluted barrel. Do you guys think this fluted barrel is of any good quality or really worth it?

So here comes the second and main question. If I were to purchase this rifle (which there is a 90% chance that I will in the next few weeks) what are some little things that I should have done to it to "accurize" it and hopefully tighten up the groups a little bit. I have hear people doing things like blueprinting the action and getting their rifle pillar bedded. I wanna hear some opinions on all of this stuff and find out if its really worth it. Thanks guys!!
I like those rifles and think it would be a good one to get started with. I did something similar to you, I bought a m700 5R milspec in 300winmag. I had a muzzle break installed, bolt knob, and the most important thing is the bedding job. I had mine skim bedded with marine tex and I can tell a difference in the accuracy and consistency. As far as truing actions and such, I would wait until it is time to rebarrel for that. Go ahead and get that new rifle, its a blast getting it set up like you want it.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Gold Member

Skim bed it or at least get a torque wrench for when you disassemble/reassemble. Mine was especially sensative to torque settings until the skim bedding.
“When a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty to throw off such governments. …” Jefferson

We are very close to this point now.

Last edited by Aldon; 04-25-2011 at 10:06 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Shoot the rifle first. No sense doing anything to it if it's a tack driver out of the box. I bought 2 Senderos used, a 300 RUM with a 1 box shot through it and a well used 25-06. Both were 1/2 MOA to 500 yds with nothing done to them.

You could replace the trigger if you wanted. I just tuned the old Remy triggers myself and they break like glass at about 1 1/2 - 2 lbs. If it's a tack driver out of the box no sense in messing with it until you shoot the barrel out, then get it blueprinted.

Have fun with your new rifle, I hope it's a shooter!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Silver Member

I picked the wrong gunsmith from the get go on my sendero. He would only take the trigger down to 3lbs, now some people think thats light enough, I like a light trigger and thats why I bought a jewell. Have you had a muzzle brake put on it or are you too??? I had one I mine until we figured out it was built wrong and according to my new gunsmith was causing some of my accuracy issues and I can say after he took it off it did shoot better, but now because of back surgery I have to have another brake put back on, also some will say you might have a flinching problem, those 300RUM's do have a little bit of recoil to them. Are you a reloader????
When you get that sendero dialed in you will have fun with it and will soon be shooting out to 1000 yards.
Good luck