Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help with re-chamber Idea .243 to 6mm BR

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2013, 11:07 PM
Silver Member

Help with re-chamber Idea .243 to 6mm BR

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a new Savage 243 and rechambering it to 6mm BR. I know the 22" is less than optimal, but is it even worth doing? How much would the 1:9.25 twist mess with the performance?

Anyways, has anyone done this? What were the results? If not, what is everyone's idea on this? Good/bad/indifferenct?

I'm looking to get a "better than average" target rifle out of this.

Chris
Old 04-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help with re-chamber Idea .243 to 6mm BR

Tar - the barrel quality has more to do with accuracy than the caliber. in order to get a better target rifle you need a better barrel. the 6mmbr needs a davidson single shot ramp , not a repeater. go to 6mmbr.com for more info. . savage guys can add more info, but you could get a 6mmbr barrel and screw it on since you have a savage. as far as twist goes it is the same thing, if you have a GOOD 8 twist barrel or a 9.25 or a 12 or a 13.5 depending on what weight range of bullets you intend to shoot . i have a 6ppc , 6br and 243s.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Bronze Member

The 6mmBR will feed in a savage repeater with the centerfeed magazine. I've got a M12 BVSS that started life as a 22-250 and is now a 6BR, it feeds well with the centerfeed mag.

As for rechambering a 243 to 6BR, I suppose a gunsmith could cut off the chamber then rechamber and rethread, but I doubt it'd be worth it with a factory barrel. For all the work you'd likely not save much money over going with an aftermarket pre-chambered barrel and you're still stuck with a factory barrel. The 9.25 twist isn't likely going to shoot the 105-107gr. bullets.

A CBI pre-fit is $300 from northland shooting supply, just screw it on and go shooting.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garycrow View Post
The 6mmBR will feed in a savage repeater with the centerfeed magazine. I've got a M12 BVSS that started life as a 22-250 and is now a 6BR, it feeds well with the centerfeed mag.

As for rechambering a 243 to 6BR, I suppose a gunsmith could cut off the chamber then rechamber and rethread, but I doubt it'd be worth it with a factory barrel. For all the work you'd likely not save much money over going with an aftermarket pre-chambered barrel and you're still stuck with a factory barrel. The 9.25 twist isn't likely going to shoot the 105-107gr. bullets.

A CBI pre-fit is $300 from northland shooting supply, just screw it on and go shooting.
Thanks. I wasn't thinking about the loss in length either. Startin at 22" doesn't leave much.

What is CBI? Criterion?

Thanks to buth of you.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Platinum Member

Pretty easy to find out what CBI was. Just typed it in CBI then added word barrels and it popped up. They are called Criterion Barrels Inc. Here is the link:

Criterion Barrels, Inc.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZShooter View Post
Pretty easy to find out what CBI was. Just typed it in CBI then added word barrels and it popped up. They are called Criterion Barrels Inc. Here is the link:

Criterion Barrels, Inc.
Yea, I realized that after I asked.

What's it like dealing with Jim at NSS right now? I'm just a little skeptical with the small shops bc gettin ahold of Stockade and SSS is all but impossible.

Chris
Old 04-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

I don't know how your numbers are going to add up but you might want to go to the Shilen site and look at their barreled actions. It is my understanding their action is made by Stiller (please confirm this for yourself). By the time you do the rebarrel this might be less expensive and you might get a better end product.

Please report back if you go this route as I have been thinking about this for a 6BR build.

I have read a lot of very good things about the 6BR. And another LRH member brought me up to speed as well. I see the 6BR in my future. For me, I am thinking chambered for no-turn Lapua brass and a 1-12 twist so I can shoot 70-80 grains at eastern woodchucks. I would like to see a 26 inch barrel.