Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

help! pick cartridge for new rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Gold Member

Re: help! pick cartridge for new rifle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by knukhuntr View Post
Well so far 4 votes for the 300 WSM... that's what I'm leaning towards.

Also, anyone have ejection / feeding problems with X-Bolts in WSM's? I've read about some issues.

Thanks again for all/any info!
Don't think so. Don't know about X bolts but my A bolts in 25 wssm. 270 wsm, 7mm saum all feed fine, No problems at all.

I have had Winchesters in 25 wssm and 270 wsm. Also no feed problems ever. Makes me wonder where this talk about feeding issues with the wsm family comes from...
Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 PM

It looks like the issues I read about are one off's from older generation WSM's...

Thanks everyone. I'll probably go with the 300 WSM and try 180 Accubond / Partition or XP3.

Got 6 months until my Moose hunt!
Old 04-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Bronze Member

one vote for the 325 WSM. Check the ballistics, for moose or elk it's better than the 300WSM. I love these little cases I have a 270, a 300 WSM , a 7WSM and a 325 WSM. Study ballistic numbers all of the time. The neat thing with the case is as the bore diameter increases these little cases respond with surprising numbers. Good for african plains species as well. I think the 300 WSM is the choice for an all around mountain rifle though. A few years back I was in the NWT HUNTING SHEEP with a 270 WSM and with all of the bear encounters (GRIZ) I decided that the 270wsm wasn't enough gun and so opted up to the 300 wsm so as to get the better heavier bullets, I hunt with a barnes 168 gr. Works near or far, though the 300wsm punches a pretty fair out hole in game at times.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Platinum Member

You may want to consider another brand besides Browning. You may want to rebarrel at a later date to something else and the Browning actions are not a good choice for gunbuilding. If you plan on keeping it as is from now on then it should perform well.

Of the cartridges you listed I like the 300 wsm the best.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Im voting for the 280 as my first pick, less recoil and you can always have a gunsmith ream it out to a 280ackley then you have something close to a 7mm magnum and if you want to reload you can always find brass to fireform, just use 270, 30-06, or 25-06.
Im in the process of building a 300wsm just for the hell of it. I cant say much about this caliber but have heard good things about it and I just wanted a 30 cal magnum.

+1 on buying another brand of rifle, Brownings are great rifles but if you ever do get the itch to re-barrel some smiths wont touch it.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:50 AM

Thanks for all the info! My Leupy VXII 3x9-40 LR duplex just came in and I went to a couple LGS yesterday for one last browse... the XBolt sure feels great and there's only one 300 WSM left in town, I think I'll have to decide quickly.

HTML Code:
one vote for the 325 WSM. Check the ballistics, for moose or elk it's better than the 300WSM
you make a good point which I thought about, however this rifle will be used just as much for flat prairie deer hunting as well.... I think the 325 would be a bit too much for whitetails

HTML Code:
You may want to rebarrel at a later date to something else and the Browning actions are not a good choice for gunbuilding
good to know, that's something I never considered... at this point I'd leave the rifle as is with no plans to rebarrel but who knows down the road??

HTML Code:
Im voting for the 280 as my first pick, less recoil and you can always have a gunsmith ream it out to a 280ackley
If I don't go with a WSM, the 280 really interests me. It would be great for deer, but it just doesn't have the same LR energy as the 300 WSM which will help for those big Moose / Elk... The 280AI would be great, but I don't reload and ammo is pretty scarse
Old 04-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Platinum Member

I would not rebarrel or work on any Browning rifles when I had my shop. Very cheap metal that was prone to cracking in a vise and very poor quality. I would not own one knowing what I do about them. There are much better choices out there.

BamaDawg from Florida, Now that is a combo I want to know more about. Sounds like an Alabama native that is a Georgia Dawg fan now living in Gator country. Now that is a mix for sure. I know how competitive the SEC religion is down there in sports so that just intrigued me.

I grew up in Georgia and have been a Dawg fan for 50 years. Went to grad school at Alabama and have been a roll tide fan for 35 years. So basically I hate anything with orange in it. When they play each other it's like being forced to choose between the pick of the SI swimsuit issue or the playmate of the month, tough choice. My wife is a fanatic Roll Tide fan who is one of a few who can claim Paul Bear Bryant as a former baby sitter. He watched after her at times in his office and would take her to the local soda shop.