Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

HELP, my gun has chicken pox!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

HELP, my gun has chicken pox!

I about had a heart attack. I got my gun out of the cabinet today to start working on load development and there were small spots of rust all over it. Nothing too serious I dont think but not sure what to do??

On hand these are what I have:
Kroil
Shooters Choice
Sweets 7.62
Butches Bore Shine
Rem Oil
WD-40

Obviously some of these are for internal barrel cleaning but I thought I would list it all. My first thought was to break out the Kroil and give it a good bath in that. But thought I would post on here and see what suggestions my LRH brethren had first.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: HELP, my gun has chicken pox!

water displacement formula #40
Keep in mind the animals we shoot for food and display are not bullet proof. Contrary to popular belief, they bleed and die just like they did a hundred years ago. Being competent with a given rifle is far more important than impressive ballistics and poor shootability. High velocity misses never put a steak in the freezer.

Joe
Old 09-02-2012, 06:27 PM
Platinum Member

I wouldn't let WD get within 20 feet of Amy of my rifles!!

I use Eezox almost exclusively when I can find it. If not I use Shooters Choice.

Kroil kicks ***** & penetrates very well. I've used it mixxed with Shooters choice solvent for cleaning a few times, but it's got such a foul oder.

Of all you mentioned I'd go Kroil first choice, & or Shooters Choice second.

If its a blued barrel, Quadruple Ot (four-0000) steel wool, mixxed with one of those will work well. Use it lightly, & your blueing will be fine.

"I have No idea why that cop made me ride in the back seat, when I Clearly called Shotgun!"
Old 09-02-2012, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winmag View Post
I wouldn't let WD get within 20 feet of Amy of my rifles!!

I use Eezox almost exclusively when I can find it. If not I use Shooters Choice.

Kroil kicks ***** & penetrates very well. I've used it mixxed with Shooters choice solvent for cleaning a few times, but it's got such a foul oder.

Of all you mentioned I'd go Kroil first choice, & or Shooters Choice second.

If its a blued barrel, Quadruple Ot (four-0000) steel wool, mixxed with one of those will work well. Use it lightly, & your blueing will be fine.
I think kroil smells good. As does hoppes #9

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 09-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Use fine, 0000 or 00000, steel wool and oil.
Old 09-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Silver Member

Gave the gun a good bath and soak in Kroil last night. Did a very very thorough internal barrel scrubbing as well with Shooters Choice, Sweets, and then Butch's gun oil. This lead me to another question...

Do any of you have any good ideas on how to clean your chamber? I thought about going to get a brush/swab for a shotgun?
Old 09-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Silver Member

I wanted to say too that this is really weird for me. I take meticulous care of this rifle and none of the others in the case showed anything. It truly has me stumped as to where the moisture came from. The only thing I can think of is if it got wet when we moved last winter. It was snowing when we unloaded that day and we had help. The gun may have gotten wet and no one told me.

I think I do everything right. When I clean it I use a bore guide and one piece coated rod, I use the best chemicals I know of. I oil the gun down after each season with one brand or another of gun oil. Am I missing anything? Remember, Wyoming is a very dry climate.