Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help on muzzle brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2003, 04:20 PM
Silver Member

Re: Help on muzzle brakes

the cost is ? for the large model in 30 cal ? without fitting .

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 02-06-2003, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

Cost with fitting??
Old 02-07-2003, 01:50 AM
Silver Member

without fitting, shipping rifle in USA is nothing than a nightmare even take a rifle in Luggage for shooting in USA is a nigtmare

Anybody know that shooters / hunters are dangerous potential terrorist for the Custom

so I prefer purchase one and fit it in France and save Custom problem and save $$$$$$ of shipping cost and one year of Custom paper delivery time

good shooting

DAN TEC
Old 02-07-2003, 02:07 PM

Michael,
The brake that I have on my 7mm mag allows me to hold the cross hairs on the "bull" @ 100 yrds. This brake is designed like no other brake, it as "slots" in stead of "holes". Three slots opposite each other.

This brake was installed on a 18" barrel of a 300 Win. mag and a lady weighting only 120 lbs and 5'4" in height shot this rifle 6 times. She never hardly felt the recoil.

The sound was checked using a "decible" meter
and the noise only increased 4 decibles over not having the brake installed.

I can shoot my 700 from bench with one hand, using 160 gr full house loads and it still stays put. It won't hurt your ears either.

Now the bad part, the gunsmith that made these quite making them, I guess he sold the patent on it a few years ago. But the next time I see him, I am going to see if he has anymore left, for I need one on my 300 mag.
Old 02-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

After spending a month or so with my 30 Wolf, and after comparisons with the brake on and off with both 178 grainers at 3450 fps and 220 MKs at 3250, I have the following report...

Since I don't have precision tools to measure recoil and torque reduction, I can only say how it feels on my shoulder and how the sight picture looks after a shot is broken. In short, the thing works and works well.

Recoil is very significantly reduced, as is the torque. It's so comfortable to shoot - it's almost too easy to handle. With the brake on, I am consistently and comfortably able to pick up hits, for instance, on steel targets at 200 yards with no problem . Without the brake, the rifle bucks hard and is uncomfortable to fire.

Plus, the machine work on the brake is just perfect...
Old 02-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Coyotehunter,

Sounds like you have the same Holland brake my brother does on his 338/378wby. Three slots in the side and tapers up in dia to about 1" and then extends a couple more inches farther to the muzzle end.

I can say it works amazingly well. His girlfriend shot it (18 and tiny too) 9 times at LR without a complaint at all. First time shooting a big rifle too. She hit everything out to 600yds and was within a foot at 900 yards too! Those breaks are very efficiant that's for sure. Take it off and it's another story.