Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help on muzzle brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2003, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Help on muzzle brakes

I am looking for info on what types of brakes there are out there. I am looking for what some have called an anti-torque brake, or something that removes muzzle jump to the point of being able to see the bullet impact through the scope fired from a 14.5# 308. I am not very familiar with very many brakes other than the traditional type. Are there any that will do what was described above?? If so where might I find them? Thanx
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.

Old 02-04-2003, 11:33 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Help on muzzle brakes

Here ya go.
What little bit of recoil there is will come staight back and you will see bullet hits out of a 308.
This is an Answer Products Sniper brake on an LRP-1A3 it weighs 15 lbs.

Yes it is a removable brake. It screws off and on with a 5/8 x 28 TPI thread.
Celt

[ 02-04-2003: Message edited by: Celt ]
Old 02-05-2003, 12:28 AM

Howdy Michael

I have designed and begun the patent process on an Anti-Torque Brake. This design not only reduces torque, it is better at recoil reduction than anything of comparable size. This design uses the principles of inertia and supersonic flow to a much greater degree than any other current design. Len Backus has shot a Wolf with one installed, and Stl_Shooter owns one, so you can get a second and third opinion about this design's performance.

Think of recoil reduction double of what a Vias design will provide, along with ten times the torque reduction. It enhances the accuracy of large calibers, not just from a barrel harmonics standpoint, but from the HUMAN side of the system. It makes these large guns a pleasure to shoot all day long. I see bullets print holes at 300 yards and strikes on steel with the Wolf at 200 yards while shooting off a bipod on a concrete competition bench. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2003, 06:02 AM
PUBLISHER

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>removes muzzle jump to the point of being able to see the bullet impact through the scope fired from a 14.5# 308 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Using STL's 17.5 pound 30 Wolf, I was able to see the bullet impact at 550 yards on a steel ram shooting with a bipod off a concrete bench.

The Wolf was shooting about 102 grains of powder with a 210 grain bullet. MV was about 3,200 FPS.

[ 02-05-2003: Message edited by: Len Backus ]

Long Range Rifles, LLC - Ready To Ship

Components and assembly by LRH Sponsors
Old 02-06-2003, 08:05 AM
Bronze Member

What's availability and pricing like on this brake? I'd love one for my 700 PSS in 300RUM. Already have a Gentry quiet brake, which works pretty well for felt recoil reduction, but the damn rifle jumps so badly I couldn't possibly spot a shot.
Old 02-06-2003, 09:39 AM
Silver Member

S1

Any pictures of your Anti-Torque Brake would be appreciated.

price?

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: mbianchini ]
Old 02-06-2003, 01:34 PM

Pictures of large Wolf brakes, and medium sized WSM brakes can be seen at:
http://www.pbase.com/s1

Just click on the dead elk

Stl_Shooter has pictures of his not camouflaged at:
http://www.pbase.com/eos3/long_range_rifles

[ 02-06-2003: Message edited by: S1 ]