Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

HELP.....Meplat uniforming tools

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Gold Member

HELP.....Meplat uniforming tools

Would those who are using meplat uniformers, mind sharing OAL of bullets uniformed on the tool you are using? Im trying to determine if the home made tool ive been working on is "good enough". I know most of you are using bullets over one inch long, so a mic reading to .0001 is probably out, but if you could use the old MK2 eyeball and guess between the .001 lines on your calipers to .0001 it would be much appreaciated. Im on the 4th generation of this tool, and have about $5 invested in this last version.
Anybody mind sharing length variations?
Old 03-16-2005, 06:16 AM
Platinum Member

Re: HELP.....Meplat uniforming tools

I just ordered the Tubb version yesterday with overnight shipping so maybe tomorrow I will have some numbers for you.

It does look like an item that would be easy to "home-make".

BTW... You are the cause of this meplat trimming stuff for me. I measured some 175 SMKs on the comparator and have got as much at .040 variation between "batches".
Old 03-16-2005, 06:51 AM
Platinum Member

I found the kevin kram model (montour rifles) is much better. The tooley model has a variation in seating built in due to the plastic body, while the kram model is SS and he has another part of the tool that is a pointed type bit that clean up the holes.

BH
Old 03-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

Dave,
Sorry about the whole bullet sorting thing... remember when bullets were the stuff you loaded and shot, not the things you had 5 hours invested in before they ever touch a seating stem!
I figured after I saw a few pictures of the various uniformers, that "I can make that" wasn't too hard you are right, but well see if the results are comprable. If they are I will see about sharing construction instructions with those interested on this site.
Thanks Dave!
Old 03-17-2005, 06:46 AM
Platinum Member

No problems, I'm having fun traveling a new path to experience with consistent bullets. I'm going to shoot a F-Class match this weekend and we'll see if anything comes of this bullet sorting stuff.

I used the Tubb meplat uniformer last evening on a series of test bullets, .308 175 SMKs. I grouped 9 with equal (or nearly equal as best as I could measure) base-to-ogive and trimmed them, eight (8) measured 1.235 and one (1) measured 1.234 post trimming (measured via dial caliper). Tonight I'll trim some loaded rounds, some that are loaded with base-to-ogive sorted bullets and report back.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:03 AM

abinok, care to share your design on your home made tool? Just got some wildcat bullets and was wondering if any of you using them are trimming them? Am I going to see much inprovment when shooting to 800y?
Harv
Old 03-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Gold Member

Dave,
Thanks for sharing. I recently heard that the tool that David sells is actually made by Dave Tooley...
I had a chance to look at one of the Monitor rifles tools, all stainless steel... very nice, gonna have to get one of those one of these days.
As for my tool, im getting about .0001 to .00015 variance with sorted bullets, but my tool indexes off the base, instead of the ogive, I guess well see how it does.