Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help me plan out a mid range rifle? .25-06 & light barrel experts needed.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 06:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help me plan out a mid range rifle? .25-06 & light barrel experts needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepcur View Post
I,ve got a factory 25-06 Sako that's 40+ years old and has 1,000s of rounds thru it and it will shoot .5-.75 MOA all day long when I do my part.
If the range for that performance is 700 yards, that's what the OP wants but I don't believe that rifle's barrel as stated will do that well at 1000 yards. If the range for those groups is only 100 yards, I'd believe that. But those groups won't be the same MOA at 700; more like twice that size, 1 to 1.5 MOA. Accuracy grows in size as range increases due to the spread of muzzle velocity and bullets' BC as well as subtle cross winds; typically 8 to 15% for each 100 yards past the first 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoods83 View Post
...at leat 80% of the members would agree that your not going to find a more accurate out of the box, production rifle than a savage, they are often more accurate than other brands that have been "accurized" and I have shot factory savage rifles into single digit groups at 1k.
If this claim's what you've done once in a while, that's what some factory rifles will do also; once in a while. But they don't do it all the time. Even rifles holding benchrest records have accuracy level all the time 2 to 3 times the size of that record group, sometime more. Rifle accuracy is what one can count on all the time, not just when everything goes perfect. You gotta count all shots fired, otherwise shoot one 30-shot group then claim the smallest 5-shot cluster as its accuracy level. Plus, to have at least 90% confidence that a group represents real accuracy, you gotta shoot at least 20 to 25 shots per group. 5-shot ones are at best only 50% credible.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Silver Member

Out to 700 yards or further you will also need to invest in a good range finder if you don't already have one.
If you could load enough on your off time to justify the reloading expence over time you may even save money, if you shoot enough.
And you could look into a 6x47 or 6mmxc get more life out of your barrel and brass, and 115 dtac or berger would offer a high bc it would kill deer goats & sheep with ease @ longer ranges
one of those two calibers is my next build soon as Obama can figure out how to turn the economy around (I might be waiting a while!!)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Bronze Member

Bart B, I totaly agree with you and yes those are 100 yd. groups I was refering to, but I also was trying to point out the amount of rounds this rifle has had thru it as I don't think of it as being a barrel burner like someone stated earlier. Have a good1 man
Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 AM

First, thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies. 2 things...I hadn't considered barrel life. 2nd, the mention of the model 70 action reminded me I have a (barely) post 64 model 70 in 308 I could use as a base for this project. Would an action this old be a viable one for a LR rifle? Second, what caliber for the short action? I'm tempted to just put a quality 308 barrel on it because of the availability of premium ammo, but is there a better choice?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

DMR,

I didnt read every reply i just skimmed them but i didnt see anyone with the same advice im about to give. You wont find a bigger 25-06 fanatic than me. some people hate them but people that have them love them to death. My primars coyote rifle is a tikka t3 lite in 25-06 topped with a zeiss rapid z 800 scope. I haven taken deer and antelope out to 760 yards and every where in between not to mention the piles of coyotes and fox. its a 22.5" barrel little rifle that is comfortable to shoot but is more than capable of taking down whatever you want to kill. You mentioned "drive by's" That is my primary method of killing coyotes as I do a lot of traveling around wyoming. and if you have done it much you know exactly where I am coming from. you want a rifle that is easy to get out the window and get stuff done, this is the gun for you plus it shoots 1/2" groups no problem. the action is super smooth. I love everything about it. Best part is they are like $550 bucks. Maybe itll wear barrels out faster than some cartridges but its not short barrel life by any means. I say buy one of these you wont regret it.

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 05-10-2011, 07:53 AM
Gold Member

An all-around favorite of mine for easy carrying, light recoil, good accuracy, and great effect on target is my .25-06 Rem 700 CDL, with a 6x Leupold, and handloaded 115 gr Berger VLD's:

I've thoroughly enjoyed hunting with this rifle for several years now. It's instant death on coyotes & mule deer and not too shabby with rock chucks either. All I did to it was adjust the trigger and sight it in with that Leupold. One shot kills on deer at 400 yards are easy without even holding over, just raise the aimpoint up towards the back some, and drop the 115 into the kill zone. I keep mine zeroed at 300 yards, and hunt primarily in Eastern & Central Washington.

On the other hand, a good .308 would work well too. No, there's nothing wrong with using your old Winchester Model 70 in .308, in fact if I had a real tight budget that's what I'd do. Use the .308, and spend the money you saved on ammo, or a compact reloading setup.

Regards, Guy
Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member

That's a sharp looking rifle guy, I love the looks of the CDL's

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad