Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help me decide which stock for my Savage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Gold Member

Help me decide which stock for my Savage

So the Savage is going to get a new stock. It currently has the Accustock on it. It has been ok, but I'm wanting to take it up another notch.

I have been looking at the McMillans and I really like how they look.
Question is, does anyone have an opinion about the McMillans or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help me decide which stock for my Savage

McMillian is a very good stock. I have a B&C Medalist that I have been very happy with. But for a Savage, let me direct you to Stockade Stocks. He specializes in stocks for Savage rifles. I have used their Prarie Dog/Tactical stock. It is very nice. It would be worth a look.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
McMillian is a very good stock. I have a B&C Medalist that I have been very happy with. But for a Savage, let me direct you to Stockade Stocks. He specializes in stocks for Savage rifles. I have used their Prarie Dog/Tactical stock. It is very nice. It would be worth a look.

Tank
I will definitely look at it. Are they as good as a McMillan in your opinion?
Old 12-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Never owned a McMillian, but I would put them right up there with them. Here is another one that somebody has posted that has me most intrigued also. If you are going to drop the coin for a McMillian, this may be an option also.

XLR Industries | evolution

I find this stock to be very cool and serve a few different applications. I'm thinking I could buy actions and barrel them. Then just switch them out depending on what I plan on hunting or shooting at that day. They are length specific, but there are many possibilities. I currently have a .308 Winnie in a long action that once was a 270 Win. So I'm not above running short action rounds in a long action. More versatility that way. But this would be a cool way to go for what ever application you decide you want to go.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

I had a stockade prairie dog and it was a great stock. I then ran into a deal on a McMillan that I couldn't pass up and I love the feel of it do much better than the stockade. I'm not saying the stockade doesn't have the quality of the McMillan, but for me personally the feel was so much better on it.

With that said, my dad and a good buddy have xlr stocks, and they are outstanding, especially I'd you like and are familiar with an ar-15. The quality is second to none and they just plain look bad ass.

If interested my buddy has his Remington 5r in an xlr for sale on the Utah News, Sports, Weather and Classifieds | ksl.com classifieds (it's Utah classified adds)
Old 12-16-2011, 08:57 PM
Gold Member

I have found that sometimes it's just better to go ahead and cry once. That is why I am looking at the McMillan stocks.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

I have three McMillan stocks. Can't go wrong with with this stock. Manners also makes a good stock. Both companies supply stocks for the Savage.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt