Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help me decide caliber for new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help me decide caliber for new build

The 7LRM is proprietary. Last I heard, you had to order a rifle to get the brass. maybe that's changed? Necking down 375 Ruger brass would involve sizing dies and a fairly involved process including neck turning.

If you could get 7LRM brass it would be something to think about but not a lot of advantage over the Dakota. The LRM would probably be more costly overall?

Maybe someone can chime in

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Bronze Member

Will I have to have an ultra mag action/bolt face for the dakota? Or will a magnum action work?
Old 03-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Platinum Member

Std magnum action will work

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-08-2013, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

For brass on the 7mm/300, I'm planning on using 300 WM brass and simply necking it down - not a complex operation. There is plenty of 300 WM brass on the market and likely less expensive than Dakota (Norma?) brass. I think for the foreseeable future, 300WM is going to be around so brass will also be readily available. I don't know about the Dakota...

Admittedly, sizing dies are another matter. However, any of the larger manufacturers (Hornady, et al) would make one without a problem and probably not too expensively. Otherwise, collet seating dies are the way to go and they're caliber specific so no problems there.

Neck sizing, once the cases are properly full-length sized requires nothing custom or special, so the 7mm/300 in this regard is standard.

Also, for a reamer, it would be worth a call around to some of the more notable 'smiths. Certainly one of them has a 7mm/300 reamer...
Old 03-08-2013, 12:38 PM

I use a 7mm neck sizing die and a 300 win mag body die for sizing and a 7mm rem mag die for seating bullets. These dies are cheap compared to any custom die. 4-d reamer rentals has a 7/300 win mag reamer. If you want to buy a reamer PTG has them, just give them a call.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhughes View Post
Will I have to have an ultra mag action/bolt face for the dakota? Or will a magnum action work?
The Rem 700 UM action is the same as any other Rem LA. Same thing. And the bolt face is the same as any std (non Lapua) mag action.

~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-08-2013, 11:42 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks for the help guys. I'm still trying to decide between the 7/300 and the 7 dakota. I'm leaning towards the dakota though. With good off the shelf brass and dies, it looks like a good way to go. I can then save my 300 win brass for a 300 win build and then re barrel my 30/378 to 338/378 so that I have a caliber for everything! So many guns to get so little time to shoot them...