Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help me decide caliber for new build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Help me decide caliber for new build

Another thing that the 7/300 had going for it, is that I just traded for 200+ pieces of 300 win brass. That still isn't a deal breaker though, because I would like to build one of them someday too.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 PM
Silver Member

If you want a 7mm, the 7-300 is a great cartridge as is the 7rm. In a short action I would look at the 7 RSAUM.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

7mm STW is also an excellent one to look into. I have had mine for 11 years and it is a shooter. You can get some pretty hot and nasty ballistics out of one, too.

I don't have a Chrono, but I loaded up some 180 Berger VLD Match Hunting bullets to see how well they'll group with the loads I loaded up. I have a feeling I will be needing more 180's after I run out of these 12 I have. I will let you know how they shoot once I get a chance to. I wasn't able to last weekend like I had planned, but I should go this weekend. Wish I had a chrono so I could give MV.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:55 PM
Bronze Member

The 7 rem mag was another thought. I would probably just buy one in a sendero and (hopefully) be done with it except bedding. I was also told that some of the local guys never could get there 7/300's to run. What about the 7lrm?
Old 03-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

7 Dakota, the brass is a little spendy but it's good brass and a great cartridge

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

I've gotta add another vote to the 7mm/300 chambering.

There are so many great reports of this cartridge it's hard to fault. Also, there are many great smiths who post here, i'm *sure* one could get a 7/300 tack-driver all set up for you.

It looks like you have a .30cal hammer in the .30/378 so that's another good reason for a 'middle' caliber.

After using a 300 Win for a few years (plus my 7RM), i've really come to appreciate the 7mm. My 7RM ADL anchored a mid-sized whitetail for me at 520 years ago and i thought going bigger (to 300 WIN) would be better bringing even more hammer to the game. However, i found i never really needed the extra horsepower and sold my 300 WIN....

Bryan Litz wrote an article on 7mm vs .308 right here. It's a great read and has helped my thinking/planning a lot.

Like you, I'm also planning a build and trying to decide btw simply updating my current Rem700 in 7RM or splashing out and buying a donor action, re-barreling and going with the 7mm/300. I have 300+ new Winchester 300WM brass cases so i could be reloading for a lonnnng time w/o buying brass (a convenient savings in this day and age).

Honestly, you have some great horse-power in the stall right now, but it's always fun to add another!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Bronze Member

That was a good read. I've got some more reading to do before I make a decision. I still think that it will take something in a magnum case to do what I want. I don't think a 284 pushing a 180 at 2650 will cut it. I'm thinking the 7/300 the 7 dakota maybe an STW or a lazzeroni. Which ones will I run out of room in a Remington 700 mag action with a detachable bottom metal? I don't want to get something built and have to run it as a single shot to make it shoot.
Thanks for the advice so far and keep it coming.