Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help me choose a .375 H&H

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help me choose a .375 H&H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I have a sako AV 375 h&h I'm going to sell because I'm building a custom. Its stainless/synthetic if you are interested
I've had good luck with the Sako's in .375.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

I've got a rem lightweight in 375h@h that's been a very good shooter-- she's actually a sub moa rifle at 8#'s scoped if I do my part. I EXPECT moa from her. Don't count out the m700 here; itr'll do just fine and it'll be a heck of a lot more accurate than the win m70 safarigrade I had.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:30 PM
Bronze Member

take a look at Kimber. match grade action and barrel. Adjustable trigger. Properly bedded , Claw type extraction, 3 position safety, cross pined , nicely finished with hand checkering and in your price range.

Ted
Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methow Packer View Post
take a look at Kimber. match grade action and barrel. Adjustable trigger. Properly bedded , Claw type extraction, 3 position safety, cross pined , nicely finished with hand checkering and in your price range.

Ted
I'm doing a build not buying a factory rifle... Kimber uses an ugly action anyway

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-23-2013, 12:30 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

I recently helped a customer sight-in a CZ 550 American Safari in 375 H&H. Nice looking rifle. It had a barrel vibration issue though. After boresighting it two different ways (using a boresighter and looking through the barrel) the rounds consistently hit about 18 MOA low. Once sighted in, the rifle shot decent groups of about 1.5" at 100 yds.

I have had good experience with other CZ rifles.

www.HighPowerOptics.com
Sports Optics
Rifle Scope Installation Tool Kits for Rent
Old 06-23-2013, 05:21 AM
Gold Member

My .375 H&H is the CZ 550 Safari Magnum. It is easily a sub-MOA rifle. I love the set trigger. It has all of the traditional safari type features.

Unlike the other .375's you will find, the CZ is a true magnum length action based on the legendary BRNO 602 and has an internal magazine that will hold 5 rounds. The full length action provides some sizeable performance advantages for handloaders. The CZ is about a pound heavier than the other rifles in its class (which I view as a plus with the larger calibers), but is very well balanced.

I own a Winchester Model 70 sporter in a lighter caliber. It, too, is a fine rifle of very good build quality and a pleasure to carry and shoot. I don't think you could go wrong with one of these in .375 H&H.

I do feel that the CZ offers some decisive advantages, however, those perceived advantages are very dependent on personal taste. I like the CZ for the following reasons:

1. True magnum length mauser type action.
2. Set trigger.
3. Express sights.
4. Matches my idea of the ideal weight and balance for a heavy caliber rifle.
5. 5 round capacity.
6. Keyed scope dovetail to prevent scope mount movement.
7. Cross-pinned recoil lug.

Go with what you like best and what fits you best. I don't think you will be disappointed with either rifle.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Either rifle you have listed will get the job done nicely. Depending on what your taste are, the vintage nature of the 375 H&H pairs up well with a more classic appearing rifle. I'm kind of partial to the classic version of the CZ, probably showing my age and infatuation with the vintage H&H rifles. I have a 30 year old 375 H&H Interarms Whitworth Express that has a classic walnut stock, Mauser action, express sights, detachable scope, etc. It's been to Africa a few times, still holds .5 MOA groups and it's zero, and taken numerous animals out to several hundred yards. It has functioned flawlessly in close encounters with some mean creatures at spitting distance. I have seen these listed on Guns America, one recently that was new in box, for prices in the $600-1500 range. Just another option.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt