Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help me choose a .375 H&H

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Silver Member

Help me choose a .375 H&H

OK, so my last post about the .375 H&H vs. the .458 Lott was answered by a few
of you guys with some very good insight/info. I appreciate that.

So I'm looking at a couple of models for the .375 H&H and wanted to get your
opinion as to the pros/cons for each (if any)..

1. CZ Model 550 American Safari Rifle 04711, 375 H&H Mag, Bolt Action, 25 in, Kevlar Comp stock Stock, Blue Finish, 5 + 1 Rd / $1,554.00

CZ Model 550 American Safari Rifle 04711 375 H&H Mag Bolt Action For Sale

2. Winchester Model 70 Alaskan Rifle 535134138, 375 H&H Mag, 25 in, Bolt Action, Monte Carlo Walnut Stock, Satin Finish, 3 + 1 Rds, Shotshow/ $1,096.00

Winchester Model 70 Alaskan Rifle 535134138 375 H&H Mag For Sale

Or if you have any other brand suggestions in the same price range.

Thanks.

MDslammer
Old 06-20-2013, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help me choose a .375 H&H

Why not go with a Dakota Arms if you're gonna drop the coin on a safari-grade rifle caliber, why not buy it wrapped in a safari-grade rifle...

Do it right, do it once.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Why not go with a Dakota Arms if you're gonna drop the coin on a safari-grade rifle caliber, why not buy it wrapped in a safari-grade rifle...

Do it right, do it once.

Beautiful Rifle the Dakota Arms .375 H&H. Unfortunately, I don't have deep pockets for it. Therefore, I'm looking at something a bit more affordable. Thanks for the
reply.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, I figured i'd surprise you....My local outdoors store about 5 mins from my house stocks a few Dakotas. It's kinda cool to go in there and handle the $12,000-20,000 rifles....Unscoped. They are certainly beautiful, but I'll never be able to afford one. And honestly, I don't think I'd ever buy one even if I could afford one. I'd be afraid to take it out of the safe...It would certainly never see the woods for fear of damage.

You should look into building a .375 H&H off a Remington 700 magnum action. It'll handle it. Cheaper, millions of aftermarket parts readily available, every smith knows how to work one, and once trued and worked, they're one of the most reliable and smoothest actions there is.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 06-20-2013, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

I have a sako AV 375 h&h I'm going to sell because I'm building a custom. Its stainless/synthetic if you are interested

Anything less than overkill is underachievement!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 06-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Yeah, I figured i'd surprise you....My local outdoors store about 5 mins from my house stocks a few Dakotas. It's kinda cool to go in there and handle the $12,000-20,000 rifles....Unscoped. They are certainly beautiful, but I'll never be able to afford one. And honestly, I don't think I'd ever buy one even if I could afford one. I'd be afraid to take it out of the safe...It would certainly never see the woods for fear of damage.

You should look into building a .375 H&H off a Remington 700 magnum action. It'll handle it. Cheaper, millions of aftermarket parts readily available, every smith knows how to work one, and once trued and worked, they're one of the most reliable and smoothest actions there is.
Must be nice to just be able to waltz in and drool over all the "Gucci" guns in your local store.

I'm having a custom .338 Lapua Magnum built for me now by SAC/Mark Gordon in Ohio. Between the custom build and glass, it's breaking my bank. So I'm kind of stuck with getting a .375 H&H that isn't going to kill my wallet.

My buddy just purchased the #2. Rifle listed above. He brought it out to the range this past Tuesday. It's really a very nice rifle. I shot a couple of rounds through it. Recoil was equal to or less than my .45/70. Very manageable for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:58 AM
Platinum Member

Yeah, the bigger diameter bullets seem to have a heavier pushing recoil and not so much a snappy recoil like the .270 Win and .257 Wby's.

Quote: