Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Gold Member

Re: Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam32 View Post
Thank you for the info Shawn!! As some people noticed I wasn't going to go out tomorrow and try to shoot game at a mile, I've just been off work lately and was kinda bored and wanted to start a discussion to see what other people would do and how...
I would recomend call Kevin or one of the other knowledgable smiths(Shawn,Kirby,many others). Kevin as do many others have the equipment and knowledge to make this happen. They will guide you straight and fill you in on how to or how not to make this happen.

Some people need to realize long range shooters need to start somewhere and not all will just jump into this game and start shooting a mile at game. It doesn't hurt a thing to have a goal or hope to accomplish a shot like this as long as your prepared for it when you do it.

I'll tell you right now I have a goal to make a big game kill at a mile+. Will i go try it before I'm ready no. I'll turn down more shots then I would take at this range becuse conditions are not suitable. Hell I don't even have the gun to do this at the moment...but I'm slowly preparing myself for when I do

Reach out for your knowledge..learn, practice, practice some more and have a blast...thats what this is all about
Old 01-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcarjeb View Post
Shawn,

I have exbal and if im looking at it right the 7RUM with a 180 Berger and velocity of 3300 at the muzzle only has 665 of energy and a velocity of 1290. Is this sufficient for cleanly killing a whitetail deer?? I have no experience, but I would think(or want) you need a little more velocity and energy. Berger recommends a velocity of about 1600fps for reliable bullet expansion and for the 7RUM that would be around 1350 yards. For this same distance I am tring to pick a caliber now and have just about made my mind up on a 338 RUM or Edge.

Again, I have NO EXPERIENCE and I'm wanting to learn something here, not argue.
Thanks for everyones help.
Scott,

I'm pretty sure Shawn was talking 'shooting' versus 'hunting' at one mile plus with the 7mm RUM. I noticed he changed gears from shooting to specifically talking about a one mile plus shot on a deer, and at that point he described a 338 "Something" with 300 gr SMKs with a MV a tad bit faster than a 338 Edge.

With this thread, the confusion started with a misunderstanding of shooting & hunting at one mile, versus shooting at one mile and hunting at 1000 yds, versus shooting and hunting at 1000 yds. I guess we need to be clear about what the current intention is, big game or steel/rocks.

Depending on the elevation and station pressure (out west at higher elevation), the 180 Berger will get out farther than at sea level. But impact velocity is the crimp in the works for the lesser horsepower cartridges at long range. My 7mm Rem Mags are good to about 1000 yd impact velocity with the Berger VLDs. Past there, even if I hit, I can't be certain about bullet expansion. And expansion is required unless you brain'em.

I see we're getting some of the good information presented now. Good stuff.

Last edited by phorwath; 01-10-2010 at 09:21 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Silver Member

Thanks Paul, my mind was in hunting gear. I see what you are saying--makes more since.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Platinum Member

I sure am glad some guys saved this thread, it was looking like a BR site for a few post there, it has gotten much more interesting.
I think the RUM with the Wildcats would be the ticket, that combo looks good even at extreme long range. The only thing that would worry me is that it's such a barrel scorcher by reputation that it may be hard to keep everything consistent enough long enough to get things worked out at extreme ranges, consistency of the chambering and the barrel with low ES and SD seems to be a real key to LRH and essential to extreme LRH.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Bronze Member

Guys, followed all here, my opinion is of one, a purpose build, .338 Lapua. That would be my only choice for this young man. It makes a great dear rifle, elk or any other game that you might run across including steels and rocks. It is more than capable of one mile accurate shot within the hands of a well trained gunny. If your loading capibility is good, this unit will deliver....Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-10-2010, 09:14 PM
Gold Member

Adam,

I am glad some guys like Shawn jumped in with some great advice. Most of us have been where you are, getting started and curious about what "can" be done. As Shawn pointed out, it "can" be done but there are few with the skill and experience to actually do it.

As far as what rifle, (stating the obvious) you want to shoot as high a BC bullet at the fastest speeds possible. I know that sounds basic (and is). That is where Shawn is comming from with the 7mmRUM, you can shoot high bc 180s and shoot them pretty fast.

Better yet is to move up to a larger cal., maybe .338 in a 338 Edge or 338AM and shoot big 300 grain bullets.

Even better is to go .50 cal. I have a 510 AM built by Kirby. On a good day with little wind (or a good steady wind) I can shoot 10 inch groups at a mile...... But my skill level is still far from being ready to try a shot at a deer at a mile even with that 50 pound monster shooting 750 grain bullets!

A one shot cold barrel kill at a mile regardless of what they are shooting is pretty "rarified air" not many can do it, I sure can't, but there are certainly some who can under the right conditions.

Like some others have said........have fun getting to 500 then to 1000 then worry about a mile........but it sure is fun to dream and try......... that is what it is all about!

Good luck on your journey, have fun!

Rick
Old 01-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM416 View Post
Adam,

I am glad some guys like Shawn jumped in with some great advice. Most of us have been where you are, getting started and curious about what "can" be done. As Shawn pointed out, it "can" be done but there are few with the skill and experience to actually do it.

As far as what rifle, (stating the obvious) you want to shoot as high a BC bullet at the fastest speeds possible. I know that sounds basic (and is). That is where Shawn is comming from with the 7mmRUM, you can shoot high bc 180s and shoot them pretty fast.

Better yet is to move up to a larger cal., maybe .338 in a 338 Edge or 338AM and shoot big 300 grain bullets.

Even better is to go .50 cal. I have a 510 AM built by Kirby. On a good day with little wind (or a good steady wind) I can shoot 10 inch groups at a mile...... But my skill level is still far from being ready to try a shot at a deer at a mile even with that 50 pound monster shooting 750 grain bullets!

A one shot cold barrel kill at a mile regardless of what they are shooting is pretty "rarified air" not many can do it, I sure can't, but there are certainly some who can under the right conditions.

Like some others have said........have fun getting to 500 then to 1000 then worry about a mile........but it sure is fun to dream and try......... that is what it is all about!

Good luck on your journey, have fun!

Rick
Thanks for the reply Rick. I'm not totally new to the LR thing, I had a .243 AI built around the 105gr Bergers and have been taking her to 600-800 on milk jugs and just recently finally set up some steel. I will be doing a 7mm RUM or AM in the next year, just since I have the bullets so why not?!