Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

I'd second Bryan, but..
I have to add that 'shooting at' game, is but a sliver of hunting,, if hunting at all.

GROW UP
Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
I'd second Bryan, but..
I have to add that 'shooting at' game, is but a sliver of hunting,, if hunting at all.

GROW UP

Nice reply...if you have nothing to add then why even waste your time with a reply?!

Just wanted a little discussion to let the day go by, I guess some of you "experts" are just to good for that...
Old 01-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'd second Bryan, but..

GROW UP
Now Im confused. Why are you here? This guy can't even come on here and ask a question about something many people on this site do often without being told to GROW UP? Wow! I guess the other question is what is long range hunting to you? Does it even include a purpose built rifle like the one he was asking about? Does that mean anyone capable of doing something you may or may not be able to do is unethical? Shooting AT rocks at a mile and killing deer consistantly at 1000 is attainable with practice and good equipment (unfortunately I'm not quite there yet). Give him a break or better yet helpful advise.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:01 PM
Platinum Member

Part of the problem of killing things at a mile is very few people are willing to discuss it because of the attitude you see on your thread. It then falls upon the individual to begin a trial and error process to see what works.

Sat and glassed for three or four hours this morning where the closest shot would have been over 1800 yards No deer seen. Last day of late rifle season in Maryland. Oh well there is always next year.

One thing that you will need is optics that cost three to four times what your rifle costs.

I would suggest you talk to Kevin not only about the rifle but also the optics needed. He has a good understanding of that as well.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Platinum Member

If you spot game at a mile, and stalk with your system to position for a single shot kill (whatever range that is), I'll certainly respect that.
If that best position was 638yds, or 470yds, and that's where you did your best, I respect it.
If your milestone here is to expand your best position 'as far as possible', I respect your endeavor.
But if you won't get closer than a mile, if you just won't put an honest effort into taking a mark with one shot, then I don't respect you.
You set the goal as '1 mile rifle' as though a Cub Scout badge.

This BS of multishots from the extremes behind a bench rest, just to moonwalk around like you're all that, is NOT hunting. It's merely target shooting at game, and anyone feeding delusion of achievement could do it. This is all PD 'hunting' amounts to, and I'm sure they covet their yardage club pictures in Varmint Hunter magazine.

Something to offer?
You can walk shots into rocks and crap over at Snipershide.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
If you spot game at a mile, and stalk with your system to position for a single shot kill (whatever range that is), I'll certainly respect that.

I agree

If that best position was 638yds, or 470yds, and that's where you did your best, I respect it.

I agree

If your milestone here is to expand your best position 'as far as possible', I respect your endeavor.
But if you won't get closer than a mile, if you just won't put an honest effort into taking a mark with one shot, then I don't respect you.
You set the goal as '1 mile rifle' as though a Cub Scout badge.

I was just putting a question out there, I've been off work for a little while so I have some time to just sit around and think about stuff, a one mile rifle was one thing I was wondering about...

This BS of multishots from the extremes behind a bench rest, just to moonwalk around like you're all that, is NOT hunting. It's merely target shooting at game, and anyone feeding delusion of achievement could do it. This is all PD 'hunting' amounts to, and I'm sure they covet their yardage club pictures in Varmint Hunter magazine.

I would never try to walk shots in on game, not from 100yrds or a mile...

Something to offer?
You can walk shots into rocks and crap over at Snipershide.

I'm not a fan of that site...
So, again I'm not going to be out tomorrow trying to shoot animals at a mile...rocks and steel are in my plans though...
Old 01-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

I am going to jump in the snake pit. I would look a 338 to shoot a 300gr pill. From what I read the 338 edge would be a good caliber. Probably need a muzzle brake and an aftermarket action, good barrel, and start practicing. Good rifle should get easy hits on a large target @ 1000yds. Then learn the wind and back the target up 100-200 at a time. If you can use a camera or spotter(very safetly) to spot each shot. An f class match is a great way to learn to read the wind. Instant feedback.