Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

700 long action to start with...deer and rocks mainly...7mm 200gr wildcats or 180gr Bergers...
Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

Re: Help me build a 1 mile rifle...

Getting to a mile supersonic is easy. A 7mm STW or 7mm RUM with a 30" barrel is sufficient. What's tricky is hitting anything at that distance. The problem is not the accuracy of the rifle. 1MOA is only 18" at a mile. It's being able to adequately measure the crosswinds over the trajectory and load ammo with sufficiently low velocity variation to not have groups larger than the game you're trying to hit. The use of a laser range finder is a given.

Deer hunting at a mile can be simple. Always hunt by yourself. Video record every shot through a telephoto lens. Promptly erase all of the recordings where you miss or only wound the animal. Post videos of the occasional clean kill on the Long Range Hunting Video Library and never mention the other shots. If you're not highly skilled at doping wind and handloading you can do the same thing at 1000 yards with factory ammo and a 30-06 or a 270 WIn. It's still impressive shooting.

Sarcasm mode off...
Old 01-09-2010, 03:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBoyd View Post
Deer hunting at a mile can be simple. Always hunt by yourself. Video record every shot through a telephoto lens. Promptly erase all of the recordings where you miss or only wound the animal. Post videos of the occasional clean kill on the Long Range Hunting Video Library and never mention the other shots. If you're not highly skilled at doping wind and handloading you can do the same thing at 1000 yards with factory ammo and a 30-06 or a 270 WIn. It's still impressive shooting.

Sarcasm mode off...

Yeah, building a '1 mile rifle' is easy. Hitting a deer at 1 mile before burning out the throat of the barrel will be harder.

Might just as well call it a 2-mile rifle or a 3-mile rifle.

Shooting at rocks is one thing, and maybe that's what you're really focusing on at 1 mile. Shooting at game at those distances will likely draw a bunch of guff, in spite of the fact that ethics debates are off-limits on this Forum.

If you're looking into a custom built rifle, I would recommend contacting a few of the gunsmiths that are sponsors of this Forum and discuss your ambitions and desires with them. If you're seriously focused on 1 mile hunting, you'll be talking about a heavy rifle shooting a fire breathing cartridge. I really doubt they'll recommend a Remington 700 long action. You're talking out-of-the-ordinary receiver, barrel, bedding, stock, and optics - because hunting at one mile is extraordinary hunting.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Silver Member

22 LR, it's good for 1.5 miles, says so right on the box!

-X3M
Old 01-09-2010, 10:14 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Author of: Applied Ballistics for Long Range Shooting
And: Accuracy and Precision for Long Range Shooting

Old 01-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Silver Member

Just wanted a little discussion...I don't have the skills or desire to hunt at 1 mile, but rocks and steel would be fun. Deer to probably 1000yrds would be about it. But I do have a 700 long action and a bunch of wildcat and berger bullets laying around waiting to get shot...
Old 01-09-2010, 12:22 PM
SPONSOR

Adam,

If your serious about building a 1 mile rifle pm me and we can have a serious discussion. Those that mock the possibilities of the extremely long shot are those that don't have enough experience or desire to push the envelope. Although I get LouBoyds sarcasm there truly are those of us that can make these shots with alot of practice, experience and the right equipment.

www.mcrifles.com