Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help on long range caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 10:16 AM

Help on long range caliber?

I would like some input/advice on caliber for new rifle build. I am looking to build a new hunting rifle capable of the longer range range shots. I am considering a 7 or a 30 cailber. The rile is mainly a for mule deer and the occasional elk. I have a 280AI that I just finished and like and have shot a 300WM for several years it's a factory gun shoots well, but not a tack driver.

Once I started research it's like anything, you get wrapped up in all the data. I have alot of friends shooting the 300 Jarrett. Any advice is welcome.
Old 07-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help on long range caliber?

You have a great rifle in the 280 AI. I shoot variations of the blown out 280 and '06 case in 7mm and love them. Your gun is essentially the same as the 7mm rem mag. The 7mm's and 30's are so close if I were you I would do a 338 for elk and then you would have to super rifles with different purposes. A great deer rifle and a great elk rifle.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Platinum Member

Plus 1, LTLR. Excellent idea.

AJ

My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives
Old 07-19-2009, 02:07 PM

Thanks guys. It's tough to beat the 280AI. I love shooting it and it shoots well. I just have the rifle build bug. I have looked at the 38's, both the wm and the ultra. Just so many options. I have even considered building another 280AI set up the for the heavier bullets. We'll see. I appreciate the comments though, and enjoy the forum. Thanks guys.
Brent
Old 07-19-2009, 03:20 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

I agree that the 280AI is a fine caliber. If you are still somewhat new to the LR game, the 280AI wont frustrate you as much as other calibers. It is very forgiving and effective.

Another good middle weight is the 300 WSM. This caliber is also very forgiving yet effective.

A good heavy weight alot of guys around here are toying with is the 338 Edge. It is still extreemly forgiving for accuracy and its effective range is staggering. The downside is that the recoil goes up quite a bit.

Welcome and enjoy!
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (where the shot goes, how big the group is, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 07-19-2009, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

With your 280AI you have the capability to shoot mule deer at pretty long range. If you intend to shoot mule deer at longer ranges, look at the 300 mags. I think Michael's recommendation on the 338Edge is a good one.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:11 PM
Platinum Member

My favorite 7 is the Dakota. I run a 189 at 3025. Recoil is insignificant (braked), reach is fantastic.

In 30, I like the win and the RUM. 210 at 3013 and 3175. They are both superbly accurate rifles and calibers. Difference in recoil is noticable, but not bothersome (braked). The 7 is equal to both, at least on paper.

I don't own a 338. When I do, it'll likely be the edge. The 7 still beats or equals drift and drop figures, almost to a mile. But, the 338 carries tremendous energy, forever. And terminal performance would never be a question.