Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help with finding rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help with finding rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
Ok thanks for the help! The only other gun im interested in is the DPMS in a creed. What are your thoughts on this gun? The only thing i dont like is how heavy it is. Do you know how they shoot?

I have the DPMS in .243 win. Shoots sub moa pretty easily. Shorter barrel= less velocity (not a bunch). they're heavy pigs & are harder on brass. As long as you don't mind chasing your brass all over heck, it'll do it's job.

It (most likely) will not be as accurate as the LRH.

t

Old 10-22-2013, 12:37 PM
Silver Member

I picked up a savage lrp in 6.5 creed. Easy 1/2 moa gun. A little heavy but shoots everything I've fed it so far really good. Haven't shot any factory loads just handloads. 140 amax, 140 berger and 130 berger. all 1/2 moa or better. Came with a nice Hsprecision stock, target trigger. I dropped it in an xlr chassis, love it. Figured on the excess weight when the time comes I'll re-barrel with a little thinner profile and still have the target trigger when I'm done.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:13 PM
Silver Member

Thanks guys. I think ill probably go with the savage. But then again i was told by someone else that for about 1000 bucks i could custom build a rem 700. I have no idea how it would shoot though. And savage has a reputation for being tack drivers so ill probably still go with the savage.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:28 PM
SPONSOR

Forget both those rifles and go buy a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator. Be sure it's the Predator not just a regular old Hawkeye. You will not regret it, and you can thank me later. Plus you won't be stuck with an ugly gun.

Here us a photo of one of mine in the field. Dang accurate and a holy terror on coyotes!
Old 10-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Forget both those rifles and go buy a Ruger 77 Hawkeye Predator. Be sure it's the Predator not just a regular old Hawkeye. You will not regret it, and you can thank me later. Plus you won't be stuck with an ugly gun.

"... You wont be stuck with an ugly gun." Nope, just one the aftermarket laughs at & some gunsmiths turn their nose up when brought in.

Controlled round feeding- Very cool, nothing wrong with that.
Investment Cast actions- No thanks.
3 action screw (at least on the ones i've played with)- PITA.
Integral scope mount- Would be great if it was Picatinny... I don't care for this setup.

I've seen a couple Rugers with custom barrels that hammer. Then again, I've only seen a couple custom Rugers in my entire life.

Will it shoot? Maybe. Will it keep up with the LRH? My Fantasy Ante says not in this life time.

Big Sky, i'm not busting your chops, i'm just putting my .02 in the mix. If it were up to me we wouldn't be going Savage or Ruger but down the custom road, alas.

cheers,

t

Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM
SPONSOR

Outlaw, I can't agree with you in regards to the Predator. For run of the mill Ruger 77's especially older ones I'm right there with you, but not for the Predator. First off, let me state I am NOT a Ruger fan. I make only two exceptions when it comes to their rifles. One is the 10/22, I mean everyone should have one or more. They are just plain fun to shoot. The other is the Predator. Will it shoot? My experience is most definitely. Here is the very first 3 shot group out my .204 Ruger using plain-jane Hornady ammo 40gr Vmax. Could reloading tighten it up even more? Perhaps, but who cares it's plenty accurate for the limitation range of a .204.

As for your other concern's. Investment cast actions are not my favorite either, but we are talking about a short action here and not a super high pressure magnum. Regardless I still like it better than those butt-ugly Savage actions (of which I own several). All my Savages shoot really well and ugly me to death every time I look at them.

Three action screws, well it is what it is. A PITA perhaps, but in all reality not a very big one. That is getting borderline knit picking. I don't like the angled action screw but it can be bedded like any other action it just takes a little more attention to detail.

As for the Picatinny mount. You can buy a Picatinny mount to intall over the integral mount so that makes it a non-issue if one wants a Picatinny.

Lastly, I own two Predators and plan to buy at least one more. I also have 3 close friends that use Predator's. All of our rifles, without exception, shoot as well as the target I posted. Some even better with the group being just one enlarged hole. So they must being something right with their barrels these days. On that note the absolute worst rifle I ever shot "group wise" was a Ruger 77 walnut stocked rifle made in the 80's (before Ruger made their own barrels). It was a total POS as were a number of other 77's I have shot. The Predator is a different animal. As for gunsmith's turning their noses up and laughing. Well unlike the last 5 Remington's I bought I can't think of a reason why I would need to take it to a gunsmith, other that to possibly add an adjustable comb or have the trigger fine tuned. (Though the ladder may not even be needed.) I will stand by my opinion that it IS a better rifle than either the Savage and the DPMS. In fact, if you want to buy a Predator and trade me for one of my Savage rifles I'm all for it.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Outlaw, I can't agree with you in regards to the Predator. For run of the mill Ruger 77's especially older ones I'm right there with you, but not for the Predator. First off, let me state I am NOT a Ruger fan. I make only two exceptions when it comes to their rifles. One is the 10/22, I mean everyone should have one or more. They are just plain fun to shoot. The other is the Predator. Will it shoot? My experience is most definitely. Here is the very first 3 shot group out my .204 Ruger using plain-jane Hornady ammo 40gr Vmax. Could reloading tighten it up even more? Perhaps, but who cares it's plenty accurate for the limitation range of a .204.

As for your other concern's. Investment cast actions are not my favorite either, but we are talking about a short action here and not a super high pressure magnum. Regardless I still like it better than those butt-ugly Savage actions (of which I own several). All my Savages shoot really well and ugly me to death every time I look at them.

Three action screws, well it is what it is. A PITA perhaps, but in all reality not a very big one. That is getting borderline knit picking. I don't like the angled action screw but it can be bedded like any other action it just takes a little more attention to detail.

As for the Picatinny mount. You can buy a Picatinny mount to intall over the integral mount so that makes it a non-issue if one wants a Picatinny.

Lastly, I own two Predators and plan to buy at least one more. I also have 3 close friends that use Predator's. All of our rifles, without exception, shoot as well as the target I posted. Some even better with the group being just one enlarged hole. So they must being something right with their barrels these days. On that note the absolute worst rifle I ever shot "group wise" was a Ruger 77 walnut stocked rifle made in the 80's (before Ruger made their own barrels). It was a total POS as were a number of other 77's I have shot. The Predator is a different animal. As for gunsmith's turning their noses up and laughing. Well unlike the last 5 Remington's I bought I can't think of a reason why I would need to take it to a gunsmith, other that to possibly add an adjustable comb or have the trigger fine tuned. (Though the ladder may not even be needed.) I will stand by my opinion that it IS a better rifle than either the Savage and the DPMS. In fact, if you want to buy a Predator and trade me for one of my Savage rifles I'm all for it.

I appreciate the honest debate, thank you.

I still find it hard to see why it's a better rifle than the Savage (DPMS ok, you win). Does it shoot any better? No. Better looking? Maybe. Cost? I can't answer that, don't know what they cost.

Your "ugly me to death" statement made me laugh. My latest Savage is a spitting image of those 4 words... but dang does it shoot. I have a custom or two that are decent though.

What does the Ruger offer that other doesn't (I totally agree with your Remington statement, god help them).

The Savage LRH offers a built in Muzzle brake, while not necessary, you can turn it off if you don't like it. The three screws are a PITA for sure; why work with them when you don't have to? As for the action, pressure is pressure right? It's bolt thrust that the big mags add... yet they offer the Ruger in any commercial cartridge I can think of (458 etc). I understand that Investment casting is pretty well different than "normal" casting but I still fear the unknown.

How are the new Ruger triggers? The last one I worked with reminded me of the new X-Mark ..... junk . I guess it wouldn't be hard to drop in an aftermarket.

In most short action cartridges, I wouldn't have a problem with bolting a picatinny mount to top of the Ruger but I do have to question it's strength compared to the more "conventional" methods.

Thanks for keeping it light, sometimes it's hard to explain one's opinion without coming across as an ass.

t