Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help with finding rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 03:53 PM
Silver Member

Help with finding rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

Hi all, i'm new here so maybe you guys can help me out. I'm looking for a rifle in a 6.5 creedmoor, but i'm having troubles deciding on what to get. I'm looking at a DPMS LR in a creed which seems like a really nice rifle. Has anyone had the privilege of dealing with this gun? Also looking at a savage LRH in a creed. Cant seem to make up my mind..... A little help please? would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help with finding rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor

My choice between the two rifles you list is a very easy one. I'll take the Savage LRH'er every day of the week. It will be more accurate, easier on brass (plus you don't have to hunt for it after you shoot), & it's probably cheaper to boot.

No contest between the two, don't get me wrong, I own 5 black rifles & love them all however, they are a different tool to me compared to a precision rifle.

t

Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

BTW. I have a Savage Mod 10 in 6.5 Creed'. Ugliest rifle on the planet & a damn fine shooter.

Cheers,

t

Old 10-22-2013, 10:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
BTW. I have a Savage Mod 10 in 6.5 Creed'. Ugliest rifle on the planet & a damn fine shooter.
I was looking at that model but i think the lrh would suit me better. What are you getting for groups with that rifle? Also considering building a custom Remington 700 in a 6.5 cm. Your thoughts? I've made up my mind on a 6.5 Creedmoor just torn on which rifle.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedmoor shooter View Post
I was looking at that model but i think the lrh would suit me better. What are you getting for groups with that rifle? Also considering building a custom Remington 700 in a 6.5 cm. Your thoughts? I've made up my mind on a 6.5 Creedmoor just torn on which rifle.

I bought the mod 10 because i'm a southpaw, which limits my options severely. The LRH would be a great choice & I have every confidence it will shoot very well. The Mod 10 out of the box was rocking factory 120 AMax's @ 1/2moa. I've since moved on to Copper Creek 130 VLD's & Hornady Match 140 Amax's.

The custom in 6.5 creed' is never a bad idea as long as you're willing to drop a significantly larger chunk of $$$.

t

Old 10-22-2013, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
I bought the mod 10 because i'm a southpaw, which limits my options severely. The LRH would be a great choice & I have every confidence it will shoot very well. The Mod 10 out of the box was rocking factory 120 AMax's @ 1/2moa. I've since moved on to Copper Creek 130 VLD's & Hornady Match 140 Amax's.

The custom in 6.5 creed' is never a bad idea as long as you're willing to drop a significantly larger chunk of $$$.

t
Thats pretty good for factory ammo. How is the action on that rifle? I'm not sure how much a 700 custom would cost me.... I'll have to shop around. The thing that scares me about savage is the action. But i haven't picked up a new savage lately... how are they?
Old 10-22-2013, 10:28 AM
Gold Member

I owned a Savage Predator in a 6.5 Creedmoor and liked the cartridge so much I decided to have my first custom built in the same caliber. The Savage was a solid 3/4 MOA gun with the 140 AMaxs but the guy that bought it from me had it shooting around 1/4 MOA with 130 grain Bergers.

Every person that's ever shot my Creedmoor comments on how fun it is. My 110 pound sister can shoot it all day long and the recoil doesn't bother her at all. Here is a pic of my custom, built off a Rem 700 with a Brux barrel.
Help with finding rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor-image.jpg