Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Help Choosing My First .308 Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: Help Choosing My First .308 Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
If I could get an FCNS at Dick's for $450, then that would be a definite buy.

The 11 THXP comes with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm, and I'm not knocking Nikon, but it's not what I'm looking for. It's an MOA scope and I'm looking for MIL/MIL, and it also has capped adjustment knobs and I'm looking for exposed adjustment knobs. I'm also looking for at least 10x capable, and I might just buy a fixed 10x SWFA SS, or that Millett TRS-1 I stated earlier.
This sounds a lot like me 4 years ago when I was trying to decide. I was given the option of the Savage FV, and VLP. I couldn't make up my mind on a Nikon Buckmaster or the TRS-1. It was when they first came out with that particular scope. At the time you could only get it in 1/8" adjustments. I found a good deal on the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 w/ 1/4MOA adjustments w/ extras. I went that way. At the time the FV was what I really wanted. Then they started making the VLP. I could afford it, so I went that route over the FV. Glad I did, but my cousin has had great success with the FV. I think you will be thrilled w/ any Savage you buy. By the way, the SPS varmint I was looking at, at the time could only be had with a 1:12 twist. That was the other factor for going Savage.

Sounds like you have a good plan going. Stay the course. Just remember, to upgrade a Savage you only need a few hand tools. To upgrade a Remington, you need a good gunsmith.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Bronze Member

I think I'm pretty much narrowed down to a Savage in .308 with the Accutrigger, now the question is which one falls in my price range.

I think Dick's Sporting Goods quoted me at $470 for the 11F Hunter, and that was rifle only. I don't know if they're generally cheaper, or if the local shop is cheaper though.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think I'm pretty much narrowed down to a Savage in .308 with the Accutrigger, now the question is which one falls in my price range.

I think Dick's Sporting Goods quoted me at $470 for the 11F Hunter, and that was rifle only. I don't know if they're generally cheaper, or if the local shop is cheaper though.
Though its nice to support local business, usually the bigger stores can offer better pricing. If you can land a Savage with the accutrigger, you'll be very happy. I have been very pleased with my rifle for 4 years now and it hasn't been pampered in any way.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Silver Member

What range are you looking to shoot? Any particular reason for picking the .308? Do you reload or plan to reload?
Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
What range are you looking to shoot? Any particular reason for picking the .308? Do you reload or plan to reload?
I'd like to have a good base to start out and upgrade to be 1000yd capable. I'm not planning on reloading, but .308 is a standard round and it is easier/cheaper than similar caliber rounds (.300WSM, .300W, .7mm-08, etc.) I can get mil-surp ball if I want to punch holes in targets for cheap, and the match grade stuff when I hunt.

Last edited by LXnastynotch93; 03-11-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'd like to have a good base to start out and upgrade to be 1000yd capable. I'm not planning on reloading, but .308 is a standard round and it is easier/cheaper than similar caliber rounds (.300WSM, .300W, .300-08, etc.) I can get mil-surp ball if I want to punch holes in targets for cheap, and the match grade stuff when I hunt.
What are you planning on hunting? There are other calibers that are readily available that have better sectional density and ballistic coefficient than .308 that you don't need to reload for (.243 and 7mm-08).

Just depends on what you're shooting at and what you intend to do with it. The higher the BC/SD, the more velocity and energy the bullets will carry and they also will buck the wind better and drop less.

Just something to think about.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
What are you planning on hunting? There are other calibers that are readily available that have better sectional density and ballistic coefficient than .308 that you don't need to reload for (.243 and 7mm-08).

Just depends on what you're shooting at and what you intend to do with it. The higher the BC/SD, the more velocity and energy the bullets will carry and they also will buck the wind better and drop less.

Just something to think about.
I'll be hunting deer mostly. My main reasons for choosing .308 are:

-It's relatively easy to get
-I can buy mil-surp
-It's less expensive for match grade vs. other similar rounds
-It won't wear out a barrel as quickly as high velocity, similarly sized rounds
-It's a standard military round, so there's going to be a good amount of it floating around. Other calibers aren't produced in nearly as high quantities.

As great of a round as .300WSM or even .300Win is, I don't want to have to pay through the nose for ammo unless I absolutely have to.