Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Help Choosing My First .308 Rifle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help Choosing My First .308 Rifle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
I do like the Savage rifles, however I don't know if I can order just the rifle from Dick's, or if I have to get the scope with the rifle. I'm also pretty sure that the 11f Hunter comes with an accutrigger, or so I thought.

It will probably come down to the SPS Var vs. the Savage when I go and look at them. I'm debating whether to take advantage of the Remington rebate, because that'll make the SPS a pretty good deal.
You could always buy the package deal and sell the parts you don't want to put towards parts you do want.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by liltank View Post
You could always buy the package deal and sell the parts you don't want to put towards parts you do want.
That's true. I really like the new 11 Trophy Hunter XP, but the scope that comes with it isn't that great. If I could get that package for under $500 I'd probably do it and just sell the scope that comes with it.

I am definitely leaning towards something with a heavier barrel contour, such as a varmint style barrel.

Is there any way to special order a package rifle with the Millett scope I want, or will that be too troublesome/expensive?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
That's true. I really like the new 11 Trophy Hunter XP, but the scope that comes with it isn't that great. If I could get that package for under $500 I'd probably do it and just sell the scope that comes with it.

I am definitely leaning towards something with a heavier barrel contour, such as a varmint style barrel.

Is there any way to special order a package rifle with the Millett scope I want, or will that be too troublesome/expensive?
probably not, but don't sweat it, I replaced the scope on my Savage twice with no problems. I got my Savage for like $460 after taxes and stuff, then replaced the trigger, and the scope, and in like 5-7 weeks the stock, all very easy to do. I didn't get an accutrigger, that saved me some money, then I put a Rifle Basix trigger in it, and love it
Old 03-10-2012, 01:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

You know you could always call Savage and special order a base model 12FV in a .308 caliber. Might be $600 instead of $500, but you will get the heavy barrel 26" 1:10 twist, with an accutrigger. Then you purchase your components.
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 03-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
You know you could always call Savage and special order a base model 12FV in a .308 caliber. Might be $600 instead of $500, but you will get the heavy barrel 26" 1:10 twist, with an accutrigger. Then you purchase your components.
Unfortunately that's definitely out of my price range at this point. If I were going to do that, I'd just get the Remington SPS Varmint in .308.

Ideally I'd like to have the 11 Trophy Hunter XP without the Nikon scope on it, but as someone said before, I can always sell the scope and replace it with the Millett.

Does anyone know how much a Savage 11 FCNS goes for in a store like Dick's Sporting goods or Bass Pro?
Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Unfortunately that's definitely out of my price range at this point. If I were going to do that, I'd just get the Remington SPS Varmint in .308.

Ideally I'd like to have the 11 Trophy Hunter XP without the Nikon scope on it, but as someone said before, I can always sell the scope and replace it with the Millett.

Does anyone know how much a Savage 11 FCNS goes for in a store like Dick's Sporting goods or Bass Pro?
They usually sell for around $400-$450. Depending on what Nikon is on it, you may want to keep it. Nikon's are nothing to sneeze at. If it is a Buckmaster, I would keep it. I have one and really like it. If the power isn't high enough for you, then definitely upgrade.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
They usually sell for around $400-$450. Depending on what Nikon is on it, you may want to keep it. Nikon's are nothing to sneeze at. If it is a Buckmaster, I would keep it. I have one and really like it. If the power isn't high enough for you, then definitely upgrade.
If I could get an FCNS at Dick's for $450, then that would be a definite buy.

The 11 THXP comes with a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm, and I'm not knocking Nikon, but it's not what I'm looking for. It's an MOA scope and I'm looking for MIL/MIL, and it also has capped adjustment knobs and I'm looking for exposed adjustment knobs. I'm also looking for at least 10x capable, and I might just buy a fixed 10x SWFA SS, or that Millett TRS-1 I stated earlier.