Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

Help on Building Custom .338

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 PM
Silver Member

Re: Help on Building Custom .338

Well ill watch the video again as its been a while and write up the specifics on what he does and more importantly his name. One of the advantages he stated of this bedding style is the ability to remove the stock from the action and place it back in with no change in POI.

Dumb question. What is the Bottom Metal? Would it be something under the follower in the mag, or is it the hinged floorplate?

Dumb Question #2: What is Locking Time? I saw this http://www.pierceengineeringltd.com/products.php?item=2
and it looks nice. It says locking time 2.3ms. My guess would be how fast the bolt can be locked into position. but wouldent that be dependent on the Force exerted on the bolt handle? Im 99.99% certain im wrong

Last edited by kc0pph; 08-14-2011 at 03:58 PM. Reason: added Dumb Question #2
Old 08-14-2011, 08:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I think your getting yourself confused, the use of a bedding block on the barrel is something that they have done in bench rest shooting which requires a stock that you can inlet the huge block into. The bedding block in the Bobby Hart stocks at Stockys stocks is a CNC cut block that is fitted into a normal stock that the action sets in, some will then skim bed these to give it that final perfect fit, these are what you want for this application.
+1
kc0pph
Two Different systems, I belive the video you are referring to is Darrell Holland building a tactical rifle using a v block bedded barrel, as far as I know this would have to be done by a gunsmith and looks expensive.

The other system is a v block for the action, the Bobby Heart stocks have the v block installed already. you can buy just the action v block from Whidden Gunworks then have it installed or install it yourself. The Bobby Heart stock is probably the cheaper way to go if you want a v block.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Well I looked around at some Pawn Shops and took a closer look at the actions that i was talking about. The actions are marred up pretty bad on the outside and the inside looks really bad as well, not sure if a good cleaning will do the job or not. I think im going to simplify my life a lot and just go buy a 700 ADL from Sportsmans Warehouse for 399 in the 300 RUM. This way the bolt face is perfect, and then to get it up and running i just need to re barrel it and replace the horrible fischer price stock. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano5001 View Post
+1
kc0pph
Two Different systems, I belive the video you are referring to is Darrell Holland building a tactical rifle using a v block bedded barrel, as far as I know this would have to be done by a gunsmith and looks expensive.

The other system is a v block for the action, the Bobby Heart stocks have the v block installed already. you can buy just the action v block from Whidden Gunworks then have it installed or install it yourself. The Bobby Heart stock is probably the cheaper way to go if you want a v block.
Darrel is a great smith. You may want to contact him.
Here's his website Holland's Gunsmithing & Shooters Supply
He can explain when/why he uses that particular type block. But, he also builds nice custom rifles like other's have discussed here.

The thing I haven't seen mentioned (didn't read the whole thread) is that a custom build can be a looooong process due to lead times for parts and availability of a reputable smith.

I'm not trying to sway you from a custom build. But if budget or time is a concern, there are factory and semi-custom rifles that may do the job for the same or lower cost.

You also don't want to forget to budget for good long range optics, range finder, anemometer, reloading equipment, components, range time, etc...

This is why many people start with a Remington Sendero or Savage LRPV, etc... Those rifles will be 95% of what you need and you can start shooting day 1 and customize as you go.

Good luck!
Richard
Old 08-23-2011, 09:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0pph View Post
Well I looked around at some Pawn Shops and took a closer look at the actions that i was talking about. The actions are marred up pretty bad on the outside and the inside looks really bad as well, not sure if a good cleaning will do the job or not. I think im going to simplify my life a lot and just go buy a 700 ADL from Sportsmans Warehouse for 399 in the 300 RUM. This way the bolt face is perfect, and then to get it up and running i just need to re barrel it and replace the horrible fischer price stock. Thanks for all of your help.
I like that idea, good starting point, keep us posted on how you build goes.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:39 AM
Silver Member

Ok how about some specifics here now, enough with the less important things.

How does a 28" barrel with a Ross Break. Will 30" with the Ross make any difference? Possibly 32". I dont care about barrel length but would like to get the best preformance.

I am not worried about weight but i think a barrel needs a contour for asteics. (A weapon must shoot well, and not be a sore for the eye). What would be a good contour for the barrel, possibly directly below the Straight barrel.

Rifling (spelled wrong but then again i cant spell anyways): What would be a good twist rate, and number of grooves. I hear a lot of rage from a 5 groove but is that the way to go? Also the diamiter that will work best.

Also dumb question but does the barrel need the crown with a ross break (and im hoping it can be removable, not the crown silly). If so does Darryl Holland's 11 degree with the 65 degree work well or is there a new one.

I plan to have the chamber cut for 300 Gn Sierra MatchKings, and hoping that i can still run some Berger VLD's down and some lighter bullets just for fun.

In Reply to your post Richard a laser range finder is being developed by my father and is in the latter stages of testing. My Reloading bench consists of a RockChucker, Lyman Case Trimmer/tumbler, plus the accessories to make them all work. As for dies i will probably go with the pre made ones from Defensive edge unless someone can get them to me cheaper.

I have a Smith now who has put in a bid. I am thinking i will go with him. I believe it was just over 500 for: (but do not quote me)
BluePrinting/Lapping (175), Chambering/Crowning (175), Ross Break + Instalation (90) and a few other items.

200 Seems a bit steep for a bedding job and i may use a stock that does not need bedded, and then if i decide to do it, use the oozing JB Weld techneque.

Optics will be a Barska 4-16 x 50 That i have laying around. Its not the best but it is not being used and allows me to push more mula to the rifle. A scope is an easy addition at a later time.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc0pph View Post
In Reply to your post Richard a laser range finder is being developed by my father and is in the latter stages of testing.
A lot of folks here will be interested in the capabilities and price point of a better range finder. There are only a handful (Leica, Swaro, G7) that are suitable for real world LRH. And, they are very pricey.

Shawn Carlock has provided fairly detailed descriptions in several articles relative to many of the parts/specs that go into his ELRH rifles. The "secret sauce" is in the details of how it gets built.

-- richard