Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Help on barrel selection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2007, 07:02 AM

Help on barrel selection

I picked up a M70 couple of weeks ago in 300 RUM and think I'm gonna rebarrel sooner than later. What do yall recommend on length, contour, and twist? I will probably shoot 180-220 gr bullets 90% of the time, but would like to play with some 240's. I also want to add a brake and would like to have it blend in with the barrel contour. I'm not overly concerned with weight but also dont want a boat anchor either. Kinda got long winded, but Id appreciate anyones input.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:02 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Help on barrel selection

Considering your caliber and bullet choice I'm assuming your wanting a long range rig.

If it were mine I'd go with at least a 28" barrel probably 30" ,Rock Creek #5LV conture fluted with a 1-10 twist.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

What model M70 did you get. This would determine which contour I would recommend.

I would personally go with a Lilja 1-9 if you want to shoot the 240s. A 1-10 would be right for the 180-220 gr pills but since you want to try the 240s a 1-9 will be needed.

I would personally say stay away from the 240s. The reason is because the newer, lighter long range bullets will get you nearly the same BC but with a higher velocity potential and allow you to stay with the 1-10 twist but thats just my personal opinion.

Barrel length, if your going with a sporter rifle, 27" would be about max I would recommend. In a Lerado type rifle I would say you may be able to push 30" but the barrel shank on the M70 is pretty short and small in diameter so I may limit it to 28" just to be safe. That is plenty of barrel for a 300 RUM.

I would recommend a Defensive Edge brake. The diameter would depend on the barrel contour you go with. Matching the muzzle brake diameter to the muzzle diameter may be an issue on the lighter contour barrels.

I would much rather have a slightly larger diameter brake and get the benefits of a partition style brake like the DE brake then get a brake to match the barrel diameter and be limited to the performance of a brake such as the Vias.

Just my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-26-2007, 10:22 AM

It's the M70 classic, so if I went with 1-10 that should pretty much cover everything then? The barrel on it now is way to flimsy for my liking, I was thinking maybe a #6 sporter contour fluted or possibly a 7 or 8 straight taper fluted, my thinking is maybe that size would match up well with the DE or Holland brake. I'm new to all this so thanks again for the reply's, its amazing what you learn when you actually listen.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

JFC,

A 1-10 will handle anything up to say a 220 gr SMK but nothing much heavier. If you want to shoot the 240s you will need a faster twist such as the 1-9.

If you plan on using the factory stock, you will be limited in what you can use as far as barrel contour. In most cases, I would say the #7 or #8 will be far to large for the Winchester Classic sporte stock forend.

Even the #6 will be tight in the area at the end of the full diameter barrel shank just ahead of the receiver.

Now if your looking to get a new custom stock, you can get one to handle any barrel you want to use.

A #7 Lilja will finish up very closely to a DE 0.875" diameter brake. Close enough that you can turn the brake down a small amount to match. The #8 is larger and will need the 1.000" DE brake and it can not be turned down to match that barrel muzzle diameter.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 AM
Gold Member

JFC,
My recommendation on barrels would be either the Broughton 5C's or the rock Creek 5r's. I would probably go 9 twist with Broughton and 9.5 with the Rock Creek.

Barrel length....28-29" you could start with 29" and then move the chamber ahead once the barrel is loosing accuracy.

Contour.... I kinda like the Palma contours as they have a little more length of straight cylinder on the breech end which allows the barrel to be set back a few times. The number 5 contours are also good contours.

Muzzle brakes.... Of course since I make muzzle brakes, I'm going to recommend my own [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] but the D.E and Holland brakes are also good quality brakes.

I also offer my "V" brake in .875 and 1. I can match barrel contour in between sizes without changing port sizes for no additional cost. Here is a picture of a "V" brake I just installed on a rifle with a muzzle dia. of .890

FWIW,
308nate

Old 03-28-2007, 04:40 AM

Thanks Nate, thats a nice looking setup.